Missing 9ft Battleship Found In NH

Two weeks ago someone in my family found a 9ft 2in long model battleship floating down the Merrimack River, in Hooksett NH.

The model is made of foam and covered in a thin layer of balsawood. This is glossed over with a light weight fiberglass cloth and resin. Some of the superstructure is left and it appears to be an Iowa Class battleship.

We've got it now and would like to return the hull (most of what's left) to the original owners.

Thanks

Chris in NH

Reply to
Chris

It's like it just reappeared from the Bermuda Triangle. I guess it shrunk while the aliens had it. ;-)

TF

Reply to
TF

Sounds like somebody's RC battleship got away from them. At 9'2", what scale would that be (wondering if ~!~ could give it a home...8-P)?

Reply to
The Old Man

I'd guess maybe 1:96 or something like that.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

==snippage==

Was it floating down the Merrimack River really? I thought that it was renamed the CSS Virginia River...

sorry sorry sorry.... it's a joke about a recent thread. Good luck finding the owner.

---Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

baliff, whack his peepee!

Reply to
someone

It doesn't appear to be fitted out with any kind of rudder or shafts. It is unpainted. There is a substantial amount of room inside though. When originally spotted it appeared that the flooding had left it high up in some brush. I wonder if someone might have been left out by the builder only to come back and find it gone and the river in its place.

I looked it up. Iowa Class Battleship overall length: 890ft

890ft/(9ft 2in) = 97:1 so 96:1 seems reasonable. Keeping in mind the bow is a bit torn up.

Someone must have put a lot of time into this thing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

can't imagine leaving a high ticket like that intentionally. going to check ads and posters? might be a reward plus being helpful....

Reply to
someone

At last they found the USS Rhode Island.

Reply to
tomcervo

Oh good, now we have another long-running gag for rms. We can enshrine that along with the 1/72 C-5 with retracting gear and mon-kees on trikes. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

you stold my battleship!