motorcycle kit question

how are the tamiya bike kits? i got a zx-12r at the senior citizs store. it was $1.99, which seemed to be a moderate price for bike kits. it's 1/12, which seems to be an adequate size for kit. i don't know tamy bike kits. are they good? worth max efforts? if they are shaped wrong or the scale isn't right, i will make them child's toys. basically just paint and decal when finished. no scratch or super detail. what your take on them.

Reply to
someone

Tamiya 1/12 motorcycle kits are excellent. Great detail, excellent fit and everything is there, including tubing for brake lines, etc. They are well worth whatever amount of effort you decide to put into them.

Usual new price on the ZX-12R kit is around $40 so you made a great buy. I think you will agree once you really dig into the kit.

I have built more than a dozen of the 1/12 scale motorcycle kits and one

1/6 scale kit. The 1/12s were much more enjoyable.
Reply to
Larry Farrell

skrev i en meddelelse news:x%s0n.6332$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-09.dc.easynews.com...

Buy the kit. If you don't want it ship it to me :-) (the chances for that are _really_ slim) :-(

Jokes off. Years ago I looked at some of the Tamiya bike kits. From my point the looke excellent and the price you mentioned looks like a steal to me.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote the following:

Like others have said, it's a steal. Where is the senior citizen store?

Reply to
willshak

Mmmm. I have the big, honkin' CB750 up in the attic.

You mean to tell me its not gonna be enjoyable to build ?

:-)

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

it does look sweet. i saw the coil of tiny tubes and knew it was for cables, etc. $2 seems really reasonable to me. i had just donated 2 vcrs that were clean, ran well and have remotes. one is a 4 head stereo from sharp and it was choice. while we were talking about the kit, a guy asked how much for the sharp. i flashed her a quick 4 fingers and he got it for $40. i previewed a tape and function for him and he didn't even try tp haggle. when i left, i asked the worker lady to keep an eye out for models for me. damn, she was really kind. took my name and number and we are both happy. i get a new, (to me.) blender tomorrow. lucky me, i do notice.... does tamy make any classic's like a superhawk or a a 1970's 4 banger? thanks for the obs...

Reply to
someone

um, i could build it for you. i really want that....drool. any trades?

Reply to
someone

east windowpain, nb. i got all one one they had. i just want to build it. if you want it built, it's ok. i'll send it to you.

Reply to
someone

sorry, can't help you there. I waited years for it to be repopped a few years back. best price I've seen now is $130.00

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

For me, the larger size made the build less enjoyable. It just seemed to me that every little glitch showed up that more obviously in the larger scale. I was reasonably happy with the 1/6 scale CB750, to the point that I let my local hobby shop put it in their display case (I have to admit, however, that part of the reason for letting it go there was that I really didn't have room to put it at home), but the 1/12s were just more fun for me.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: [snip]

Most of the 1/12 kits are of modern bikes; go online to Tamiya's site to see the full list. They do have a Ducati 900SS, a Honda VFR750R and a Yamaha Virago XV1000 which more or less fit your requirements. Did not see a Superhawk.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote the following:

Thanks, but the joy of scale modeling is to build it yourself. Maybe someone else would want a built up model. I just wondered if there was a like place in my area.

Reply to
willshak

They are the best thiings you will ever build... some are a little fiddly (just like a real bike), but any efort you put in will be rewarded.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

i know there's one out there, i built one wayyyyyyyy back.

Reply to
someone

For those interested in bike kits, Take a look at this:

It's an add on for a 1/12 bike kit:

(Honda RC166 Grand Prix Racer)

It allows you to assemble a 1/12 motorcycle drive chain! Now that's fiddley ......... And I am sorely tempted.

wrf

Reply to
R. Franklin