Need help repairing glue damaged winshield

subject says it all was helping the wife build her a model pickup when she advertently got glue smeared on the windshield I have sanded the affected area down but where the glue attacked the clear plastic it still shows like a scar no matter how much I sand it, will future fix this problem? TIA

Reply to
Daryl

Get some very fine grit polishing clothes.Start at the roughest and work all the way through them,usually about 10000 grit. Then you can use polishing compound or even toothpaste and rub it out.The future to finish should get you there.

Reply to
eyeball

Use very fine grit sandpaper. 600 grit first, then move to 1000 grit. Then use plastic polish sold at better hobby shops. It will clean up the damaged area where you will never know it was touched.

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc. flagshipmodels.com

Reply to
Rusty White

thanks folks thats what I was hoping to hear, I already have the windshield sanded down just need to finish polishing it then apply the future, again thanks for your input

Reply to
Daryl

Just keep in mind that if you subject the part to too much flexing, it might suffer from internal "stress fractures", which might give it a whitish appearance. Can you possibly back the part with something like modeling clay, to help keep it secure before any heavy-duty polishing?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Good point Greg thanks for bringing that up, I keep a ball of clay in my tool box for camo painting so that should workout ok, thanks

Reply to
Daryl

You might want to check with: Micro-Mesh

1217 W Third St Wilton, IA USA 52778 800-225-3006
for their materials that run down to around 12000 and a liquid abrasive called Micro-gloss. I've used it to finish full size plastic windshields as well as the smaller variety. They have a number of kits available for micro polishing paint finishes as well as plastics. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

Thanks Wink since our local hobby shop closed its doors last week the link you gave is great

Reply to
Daryl

I have had good results with the Novus system too. Three bottles in a kit that I use to polish my Jeep window, that I have also seen sold in Motorcycle shops for cleaning plexi windshields and helmet face masks.

Rich

Reply to
Rich