OT-History channel Tank overhaul

was watching Tank Overhaul the other night they were rebuilding an M-18 Hellcat one of several tank kits I'll build one day, any way during the show the guy who owns the tank was giving the info on the weapons breakdown including the main gun which he described as a 7.62 mm gun ????????????? has got to be kidding 76mm maybe but my gosh

Reply to
Daryl

on 11/26/2008 8:30 AM Daryl said the following:

I saw that show. I don't remember what he said, but if he did say that, it probably was just a slip of the tongue. I'm sure he knows it is a 76mm. I built the 1/35 Academy M-18 Hellcat #1375. Not a bad model, but I'm not a rivet counter.

Reply to
willshak

this was on the history channel ??? when?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

no, the military channel. do you get that? it's a whole series. they did a panther...wow!

Reply to
someone

on 11/26/2008 8:09 PM snipped-for-privacy@some.domain said the following:

There was a show about some guys restoring a Sherman. It was on the Isle of Wight somewhere. They had to weld two separate Sherman hull halves together to make one Sherman. The only problem with that show was that they spent a lot of film on a travelogue of the Isle of Wight.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote: : on 11/26/2008 8:09 PM snipped-for-privacy@some.domain said the following: : :> no, the military channel. do you get that? it's a whole series. they did a :> panther...wow! : Meh. They spent too much time, IMHO, with the history of the Panther. IIRC, they did very little with the Maybach, just settled for comparing it to a modern diesel tank engine. Yawn. : : There was a show about some guys restoring a Sherman. It was on the Isle : of Wight somewhere. : I believe it was the same series - Tank Overhaul. And, yes, it was at least 50% a tour guide to visit the beautiful Isle of Wight (Man, what ever).

At any rate, this series has been bouncing around the various family of channels that owns Military Channerl, History Channel, etc. I believe it was most recently on Discover Channel HD.

They also did a Comet, which was perhaps the best from a pure nuts & bolts perspective. So far as I know, it has not gone any furthur than that, so no StuG that Littlefield has restored, nor the Bovington Tiger, Saumaur vehicles, etc. And, the Hellcat was a runner before some "sprucing up", so none of the other vehicles were actually shown running in the end, IIRC.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

It repeats every once in a while. well worth watching. Interesting how they get parts and when they tell the history of how they got the tank. Won't spoil it, but there are a few places they filmed at I'd like to go to...

Reply to
frank