Paint disaster--I get the dumbass award!!

I had a boo-boo last night!! I was trying to decant a rattle can, which normally is no big deal. I had turned it upside down and pushed the button until all the pressure was gone, or so I thought. I then stuck it into the electric can opener to remove the bottom. As soon as the cutter wheel pierced the can all hell broke loose. I ended up spraying pearl paint all over my face, the stove and the can opener, had big dribbles all over the ceramic tile floor and a very nice oak kitchen table. Fortunately I was wearing glasses, which were covered in pearlescent goo, as was my face and hair.. As it was, my eyes still got quite a bit on them, so they were pretty well glued shut. So I'm standing in the middle of the kitchen with my eyeballs glued shut, can't see dick, my face feels like I have a major sunburn from the solvent, and I can't get my wife's attention to come to my rescue. She finally comes, takes the can and gives me a rag soaked in thinner to wipe the paint off my face and out of my eyes; the fun level is going way up here, believe me. My face now feels like I'm nose to nozzle with a Tomcat in afterburner. I finally get enough goo off so I can crack the peepers and at least get my bearings. Another couple thinner-soaked rags later I get it off enough to function. The glasses go in a thinner bath to soak, and getting goofy from the fumes, I head outside for some air. My excuse for the next dumbass move is the reason I went outside--goofy from the fumes. Ok, so I get out to the front porch and reach for a smoke. Now, the fact my face and hair has been covered in paint, and it was cleaned off with volatile thinner doesn't occur to me until I have an open flame three inches from my nose. The image of a 6'2" human match running down the street flashes through my mind. Fortunately, apparently the thinner had dissipated enough so this scene wasn't played out for real. The rattle can cost me a buck at MVR Hobby, which had (past tense) about four bottles worth of paint in it. In retrospect, I think I'd been better off getting the bottles and paying the extra. MV

Reply to
Disco58

What's the matter with your wife ? If she'd of had a video camera she could of sent it to Funniest Home Video's and made enough to buy cases of bottles .

noddy

Reply to
noddy

some people's spouses actually CARE about them. perhaps not a problem you have?

I think that it is very hard to get all the propellant out of those cans. Glad you didn't ignite. Funny it sounds, tragic it would have been. Betcha don't do that again!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Holzkopf probably hasn't got one.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Tell us how that felt... ouch

Uh oh...

Whew...

I dunno - ya might have forgotten to put the lid back on one of them and shook it all over the place. Ask me how I know how that can happen :-(

Hope everything - wears off OK. At least the couturiers have said that pearlescent is in style this year. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

or, if she hated you, pehaps turned the gas stove on . . . god knows that whats mine wouldve done to me if Idve done that

Reply to
Bob

Dude; you shouldn't have washed off until after Halloween.

You never heard of using a nail or a small punch, surrounded by a rag, to release the pressure? That's what I do.

Disco58 wrote:

Reply to
frank

Been there! Done that! Had to buy a new T-shirt!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Maybe put it in the freezer first?

Damn. I was gonna come in with my own story of how I jabbed an x-acto blade to the hilt into my thumb-web but your story kicks much more ass than mine. Cool.

TF

Reply to
Thomas

Save that one for when we get to the "How I Stuck Myself and Bled All Over My Work" thread. It's overdue anyway.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I wonder if there is anyone out there in this hobby who has not tangled with an exacto blade at one time or another??

Bill Shuey

Mad-Modeller wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I got the scares to prove it!

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye

I think the real tales of the knife are the ones where you should have cut yourself badly but for some reason escaped. It's like this - I don't model barefooted anymore.

Round handled knife blades - cheap to make, but not the best idea.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Only with butcher and carving knives.

Reply to
Wayne

I can't find the scar in my calf anymore but the others show up. To complement them I have one on my left middle finger from my youth. I remember the cut but not what it was caused by. Anyway, the fingerprint is screwy there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

I have a soldering iron with the fingerprints of my right index and middle finger firmly burnt into its surface. Suffice to say that the prints left on the iron did not come back on my fingers.

Dropped a spinning hobby drill on my thigh and the darned thing (0.5 mm) drilled in my leg and snapped of. Had to do some digging with a tweezer to yanked it out. Not a good day

And I hit the tip of my left index finger to a pulp once, with a 4 lbs hammer. (Not modeling related) Still have no feeling in it, only the sensation of hot and/or cold and clipping that nail feels REALLY REALLY funny!

Well and some more but that is REALLY not modeling related!

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Safety should be a concern for everyone building models. It's not only paint and thinner that can damage the eyes/lungs, but flying pieces of photo-etch, snapping scalpel blades, and even those sharp plastic fragments from the FROG Walrus as the modeler disposes of it. It's like with reloading ammo: nothing ever goes wrong, so wear your goggles for decoration :-)

I am reminded of the - in hindsight - hilarious episode in "A history of nearly everything" where the Dutch lensemaker decides to investigate a small explosion under a microscope and nearly blinds himself.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug