Paint disaster--I get the dumbass award!!

Many years ago, when I were but a lad enthusiastically putting together any aircraft model I could lay my hands on, I'd lose bits and pieces of my fingers to the knife all the time -- chopping chunks off myself with almost gay abandon. This never bothered me in the slightest.

Then, one day, the knife rolled off the table and I awkwardly tried to catch it and the point pierced the very centre of my palm. It didn't go in very deeply -- only a mm or two at the most -- nor did it hurt a great deal. However, by the next morning my entire hand had swelled to almost double its normal size.

It was easily fixed with a trip to the doctor and a tetanus shot, but I've always thought it strange that it was the tiny, insignificant wound that ended up with the worst result, while the repeated hack jobs I did on my fingers never had any lasting effect.

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

I have taped a piece of sprue along all my round handles, keeps them from rolling. Best idea I ever got from someone online!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Just a lurker here.

Sorry for your discomfort, but I haven't laughed this hard in about 3 years. :-

Hope everything cleaned up ok...

Poptart

Reply to
Poptart

Well, there's the one where I was trying to get the wheels on the little metal axle in my '70s Opel GT kit. The axle was resisting moving in and I upped the pressure. It moved all right, right through the wheel hub and into my right thumb. It healed but there are times when I put my thumb to some surface a little off square and that old wound says, "Hello!"

I never finished the car and sold it several years later when all the sports cars went out the door. It was also the only car I painted orange.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My brother did the knife bit when he was cutting balsa wood. He started a cut throgh the wood when it started to tighten up on him, so he he pulled harder and the blade loosened up so fast that he didn't catchup in time and he sliced his thigh open that took 150 stitches to close back up.

Reply to
stagecoach1944

Can I add, not using the ball or heel (or whatever it's called) of your palm as a worktop when cutting with a sharp blade. Fourty years on and I can still see the scars. At that time I could see the tendons but the worst part was at the hospital, the needle that was inserted into my hand that felt like it was going up my arm and nearly touching my elbow.

Can I have my award now or as Father Ted's Father Jack Hackett would say "AWARD! AWARD! AWARD!"

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I did that with an AMT '60 Ford when I was 13. I still have a tiny round piece of the wheel in my thumb... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

AMT had switched to the thin axles for the 1960 annuals but it still hurt like hell!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I think mine is just scar tissue. It feels like a small leather ball inside. If that was an one of the thick-axle '60s that must have really hurt!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Agreed! Meanwhile, I have to check my '60s next time I'm downstairs and see if they all have the thinner axles. CRS can be so embarrassing...

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller