re: antennae

>In the early days of wireless communications ships were festooned with >antenna cables from bow to stern. In this time and day why are there
>still remnants of these (antenna) cables? Civilian ships (VLCC >tankers, container-ships, Cruise liners) don't have them. So what >kind of function do they serve on warships other than for flying >pennants?
There are halyards & antennas. Halyards are ropes rigged to the mast from the deck for signal flags & pennants. The long wire antennae you see (usually stretched between two masts) are for HF over the horizon communications (long distance). There are also log periodic, disc cone cage antennas & 30' whips on some ships, all for HF comm. The VHF/UHF frequencies are only line of sight (which also includes satellite). Rule of thumb is the longer the antenna, the longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency, the farther the communication.
Those other ships either have them in a different form or they are using satellite (most likely). The tanker I sailed on (SS Austin) had the wires, so it's not cut & dry. It's a lot cheaper to rig a wire antenna than to talk on a satellite.
--
Dale G Elhardt
Cypress Ca