re: antennae

In the early days of wireless communications ships were festooned with
>antenna cables from bow to stern. In this time and day why are there
>still remnants of these (antenna) cables? Civilian ships (VLCC
>tankers, container-ships, Cruise liners) don't have them. So what
>kind of function do they serve on warships other than for flying
>pennants?
There are halyards & antennas. Halyards are ropes rigged to the mast
from the deck for signal flags & pennants. The long wire antennae you
see (usually stretched between two masts) are for HF over the horizon
communications (long distance). There are also log periodic, disc cone
cage antennas & 30' whips on some ships, all for HF comm. The VHF/UHF
frequencies are only line of sight (which also includes satellite). Rule
of thumb is the longer the antenna, the longer the wavelength, the lower
the frequency, the farther the communication.
Those other ships either have them in a different form or they are using
satellite (most likely). The tanker I sailed on (SS Austin) had the
wires, so it's not cut & dry. It's a lot cheaper to rig a wire antenna
than to talk on a satellite.
Reply to
the Legend of LAX