Painting an antenna? Bad idea?

I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it interfere with it's performance?

Reply to
stryped

I'd ask in a Ham Radio group. Be prepared for a _very_ long thread with your answer maybe buried if you're lucky.

Dave "Learned long ago to be careful asking a Ham for antenna advice" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If it's a fixed antenna like a J-pole then painting it with something nonconductive would probably help in the long term.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

As long as you don't use a conductive paint over insulated portions I don't see any reason why it should affect it except in a positive sense...if it's outdoors, it'll forstall corrosion of the metal parts.

I just noticed GM is back to putting the car radio antennas in the windows again. SWMBO's latest "new to her" '03 Buick has the antenna in the back window, IIRC they were part of the windshield a while back. Haven't studied it to see if they got dual usage out of the defroster heater elements by making the antenna out of that, but rest assured my curious mind will have me doing that before long.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Non conductive paints, no. If you're painting it, you might want to make sure you go back after it's up and paint over the terminals too, might make it a pain to disconnect, but would prevent corrosion. Spar varnish works well too.

Reply to
Greybeard

Stryped

If you want to *discuss* the properties of antennas, there is a wonderful news group named Rec Radio Amatuer Antennas. There are alot of really well informed antenna guys there. My advice would be that you build the antenna from EMT and try it. Isnt thats what HAM is 'all about'??

Jerry (who made his living as an antenna design engineer)

Reply to
Jerry Martes

No problem. Krylon, Rustoleum.... paint away.

-Spencer

Spencer Webb

STRYPED

I just went to the antenna news group to read their 'latest' and see that you already posted questions there. I feel like I just stepped in a "pile"when I see that you ask for antenna advice in RCM *after* discussing it on the ANTENNA group. It becomes obvious to me that you are interested in discussing rather than actually building an antenna. There are world class antenna experts available to answer *any* antenna questions in the Antenna News group. Take their advice.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

How do you expect the signal to get in or out of the metal antenna if you cover it up with paint?

John W7JDA

Reply to
John

Why would conductive paint hurt it? It shouldn't change the wave length. Assume nothing shorted with the paint.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Antennas of the type used on large antenna sites such as building tops and mountian sites are generally gain arrays, vertically oriented and housed in a plastic-like radome. They are several feet tall and only a few inches in diameter. Paint would not be a good idea for obvious reasons on this type of antenna.

Bob (ex-antenna site manager) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Styped

I see that there are posts on the Antenna Group that reguard you to be a TROLL. Is that true?? Is this antenna questioning on RCM a way for you to have fun with the helpfull guys on RCM?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

RF current flow is confined primarily to the outer edge of a conductor ("skin effect"). So you can have the highest-conductivity material in the world for the antenna, but if you use conductive paint your RF power will be flowing through -- and being consumed by -- the paint.

So unless the paint has a higher bulk conductivity than the metal, use nonconductive paint.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

painting it

I honestly plan to build one. I am going to my first ham event Saturday and hope to pick a radio up. I just ask alot of questions because I want to be educated. Some people get tired of my questions but they are legitimate questions.

Right now I cant decide whther to build a ground plane or j pole and what materials. I would also like to build a scanner antenna for airplane frequencies. But 108 139 mhz is alot of ground to cover. I am not sure one j pole or ground plane would work in that situation.

Please understand just because I ask alot of questions does not make me a troll. I just want to learn and build this the right way.

Reply to
stryped

Thnx Jerry for the poss. Troll Alert. That's all we need: A HAM wanna-be loose on RCM.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Yeah, and what's with the hotmail address?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well now, not _every_ person posting from hotmail is a troll.

Dave "It just seems that way..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A side note to the viewers...Jerry has forgotten more about antenna design than most of us will ever know. And the military loves his work...they keep sticking them up.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Tom Gardner