Compressed air heater

I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.
Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.
Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?
Ignoramus13229
Hmm... Cooling of a piece of work you are drilling or machining in bizarro world?
Seriously though, what temperature (range?) does it produce?
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022
V8013
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
I am not sure about the temp range, but by feel I would say 200-300F.
Ignoramus13229
Blow a lot of hot air out of its nozzle? There are a lot of guys on this NG who don't need another one of those .. :-)
Ignoramus13229 wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
ROTFLMAO
Ignoramus13229
Pastics welding of forming? Pat
Reply to
Pat Ford
Sounds like a great idea, I will give it a shot!
Ignoramus13229
From various pictures that I've seen of these units, I'd think they could be handy to have around.. somewhat like a flameless torch. You didn't say whether you have the handpieces (handheld part). I've noticed that some were used with nitrogen instead of air, although I don't know what specific purpose they were used for.
I suppose they would be great for setting shrink tubing and working different types of plastics. Plastic welding units have a low air output, more like a whisper of air, not a harsh stream like a blowgun for cleaning. The heat range might be suitable for no-contact desoldering of small to medium sized connections, or possibly larger junctions. I don't think these units would be suitable for a heavy duty application like plumbing connections.
Hot air can also be used for curing certain mixtures. Also handy for releasing some types of adhesives.
WB ................
Reply to
Wild Bill
Yes, I do have handpieces.
Maybe nitrogen would be useful because it doesnot start a fire as easily, as opposed to hot compressed air. Just a thought.
My unit can be adjusted.
Thanks! As one poster noted, blowing hot air can be useful for newsgroup participation!
Ignoramus13229
Are you sure it isn't meant ot re expand refrigerated dryed air? that's the only use I had heard of
Ignoramus13229 wrote:
Reply to
yourname
I have no idea, but my hunch is that you are more likely to be incorrect than correct.
Ignoramus5713
If it gets hotter than that, maybe try running something flamable through it to see if you can make a home-made, controllable blow torch / flame shooter? :)
Sorry... Just finished my time with a bunch of teenagers at a local group. As a volunteer leader, I'm required to think like them and although it's easy for me, I can't quite shake the thinking for a few days once I do it. :)
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
Smaller versions are used on the flight line to shrink tubing. The tool has no parts hot enough to ignite fuel.
Kevin Gallimore
Reply to
axolotl
Good for drying out tanks, if you have a need for that. When steam condensers are offline for an extended period, a device similar to this is used to dry the condenser out and prevent corrosion.
Shawn
Reply to
Shawn
also, drying out things with solvent or water in them, and shrinking heat shrink tubing
Reply to
william_b_noble
I have a similar devise. (it is in storage at the moment though) I bought it from OTC ,if I remember correctly. It is about the size of a small cordless screwdriver. I was intended to be used for working on carburetors and thermo circuits on automobiles. Checking the chokes etc.... Blew hot on one end and very Cool on the other. Very neato idea, that's for sure. No idea how it works ???
Cj
Reply to
Cj Wilson
It'll be a Hilsch Vortex tube.
One explanation is here:-

Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Yeah , That's it. That company makes a much nicer one than mine. Thanks for finding the 'How it works' page. A real slick idea ,for when it was first thought out !
Cj
Reply to
Cj Wilson
If its a vortex tube it should have a cold air outlet as well. very handy if you want to cool a cutting tool without water,oil or mess. Tom
Reply to
Tom Miller