Re: Making a useful hobby tool.

> So I took one apart and the guts was a small dc motor that had a thick

>> rubber tube/cylinder to hold the bit to the motor shaft. =A0So it is a >> rotary tool. A Dremel drill can do the same thing except it is too >> fast and will melt the plastic on any speed setting. =A0The dollar tool >> is very light and comfortable for precision manipulation and the speed >> just right for cutting into styrene. > Sorry folks. =A0It works but the tiny motor has no guts. It will take > forever to get anything done. =A0For $2 it was an interesting > experiment.

Sounds like one I tried when I went to the local drugstore and bought a cheap ($5.00) nail buffing kit. I was to be a small portable cutter for some Dremal tools. After screwing around for a couple of days trying to get the Dremal bits to fit, the unit didn't have enough balls to cut the plastic or even to buff my Metallizers. Then I found out (through the local TV comsumer-affairs reporter) that the thing was junk for nail care as well.

Reply to
The Old Man