Re: MoH candidate?

I think so

I agree.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yes , I would say so as well.

Such a tragic loss , as have been all of their lives.

But such a act of sheer bravery.

It makes me wonder could I ever do the same,

I find myself somehow not kowing the answer to my own question..

... Carl ..........

,,

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"
quick LooK into My Life

cyberborg 4000

As I read the article I noticed it saying he had been posthumously awarded the Silver Star, which I thought at first was awarded for this act. After rereading I realized this wasn't the first time he had gone above and beyond. If he doesn't get the Medal of Honor for this I, for one, want to know why not. As for wondering whether any of us could or would, I'd bet it crossed his mind a time or two as well, but when it came to the moment of truth I seriously doubt there was much thought process at all, just instinctive immediate action. Who would do something like that if they actually took time to ponder?

Reply to
Disco58

It's the flight or fight instinct of a hero. I am alone, save myself! I am not alone, save the others!

Reply to
Willshak

There's a great question at the end of 'Bridges of Toko-Ri' that the (IIRC) admiral poses: "Where to we get such men?"

I find myself asking the same thing.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

St. John may not have been a soldier, but I think perhaps he knew what defines heros at their core. The real tradgedy is for those of us who remain, now in a world made lesser by the passing of one more person of good character.

Myrmidon

Reply to
Myrmidon

Only if he knew when it was going to explode... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

There's always that issue, but how much longer does it take to kick the damn thing than to cover it with you body? If it goes off while you're still in mid dive you're not going to be much use either..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

I think the typical kill radius on a frag grenade is something like 15-20 feet. Trying to kick something heavier, smaller and less round than a croquet ball a distance of some 20 feet or more away from you is likely a little more daunting than it might first appear. Especially when it detonates a mere 10 feet or so off your boot into its flight.

There certainly are no guarantees, but I suspect falling on live hand grenades with mere seconds to react is living in a world that is reduced to the business of percentages. The high percentage play is that obstructing the grenade quickly will likely reduce it's lethality.

In movies we see hand grenades tossed back in the nick all the time. I would imagine in real life that happens almost never.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Certainly, the odds aren't good, and whoever does the kicking still has an above average chance of ending up dead or at least maimed. But the real question is, would it save the rest of the team? If so, it would give whoever went for the granade a chance to survive, rather than the guarantee of death. (although the latter might actually be preferable to having to live with the effects of the granade going of at close range)

My guess is that trying that would be a guarantee of having it go off in your hand. Bad business, not to mention useless.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel