Re: "PLA" in Testors paint

What did the "PLA" in Testors paint stand for?

My guess would be an indication that it was specifically intended for plastic models.

HTH,

Andre

Reply to
Andre van der Hoek

That they are getting their paint made in China by a People's Liberation Army factory ? :)

Reply to
a0002604

Any chance the PLA stands for Plastic, as in paint for plastic?

Reply to
Robert J. Bartolacci

I read somewhere that the PLA was supposed to be pronounced 'play' and was to give parents the idea that they were safe for kids to use. I can't quote the source anymore and it was always 'plah' to me anyway. I didn't start using them until 1960 when I got into model car building. Later, I started using Pactra's paints and much preferred them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I used my first Testors PLA paints back in 1954 or so - My mother insisted it should be prounounced Play - as in play paints. She siad the sales person in the Woolworth's 5 & 10 told her that. They were play paints for kids. My father and I alwyays said PLA - but then again I guess we were the barbarians in the other wise cultured family. One way or another at that time they were glossy and somewhat hard to use in getting a smooth surface. Probably what drove me out of modeling until after college when I discovered Official and Imrie Risley.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

After the first response I thought of the same meaning "PLAstic"

J.B.

Reply to
Jer038