RoG 1/48 Super Hornet--WTF?

Saw this and wondered if was worth $10 more than the US release. The "prototype" shots on the box showed the infamous non-existant airbrake and the decal-only instrument panel, so I put it back. Then I found this preview:

and bought it. It's the same kit with the new, good molds. The decal options are VX-9 100, China Lake VFA-27 204, Atsugi VFA-137 205, Lemoore VFA-143 401, Oceana

Two more options than the US release--three if you're counting squadrons. Only one, the VX-9 cover bird, is a CO bird; the other three are regular squadron planes, so there's room on the sheet for two more. 149 individual markings on the sheet, so it's a big one, and that may be worth another $10. But you wouldn't think that looking at the box photos!

Reply to
tomcervo

Actually, the kit is not without it's flaws, but it's DEFINATELY better than the Shiterelli offering (and I'd recommend passing on their G kit as well)...and the price it right. But I personally prefer the Hasegawa one as the best overall...though it also has some flaws.

BTW - VX-9 actually has two jets painted in color; an E (100) and a C (400). The scheme depicted on the box with the bunnies has pased once again into history...but other than that the two are painted very similarly, but with the C carriying a bit more color. I think there are decals available for both, if you're interested in doing the pair.

Reply to
Rufus

I just built two of those including a test shot for a german modeling magazine and the kit is as good as reviewed on ipmsdeutschland. Of course it has got it's weaknesses, but what you get for the money is unbeatable. It is made in China. What you do not get are positionable Fowler flaps or slats. So I have here VX-9 and VFA-143 planes... :-) Ingo

*time is an enemy*
Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt