Roland Beaumont Tempest markings

Hi Folks- I'm planning to build a couple of Typhoons and Tempests in 1/72 scale using the Frog early Tiffie, and the recent Academy kits. I've seen Roland Beaumont's Tempest portrayed with invasion stripes and code letters R*B and RP*B . Were these two separate a/c or the same a/c at different times? I've checked on line but drew a blank.

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

Only pic I have shows code R*B and black /white ID stripes, not invasion = stripes under wings.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

Hi,

Beamont (said, 'Bee-mont') is correct - his nickname was 'Bee' rather than 'Beau'.

Duncan

Reply to
DunxC

Thanks to all the folks who responded to my post. I received one e-mail that directed me to a web site that had a lot of info about Beamont and his Tempests. It appears that JN751 was coded R*B and was an early Tempest V, type 1, with the protruding cannon barrels. It carried the black and white stripes that were first used on Typhoons, but had invasion stripes painted on for June

  1. The nose was yellow. Beamont, later in 1944, flew a Tempest V, type 2, without the protruding cannon barrels, coded RP*B. The serial is unknown and no further details on the a/c are available. It's interesting that his surname is spelled Beamont in some places and Beaumont in others. I think Beamont is correct. OK, now where did I put that Tempest kit?

Thanks again, Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

Your info tallies with my painting. Spinner was yellow, protruding barrels.

I think that the confusion about the name spelling comes from the fact that "Beaumont" is a legitimate French word. AFAIK, Beamont isn't, but strange things happened in the evolution of family names.

I'm with you and would go with Beamont.

Thanks for the feedback. Gotta get a Tempest.

Cheers,

Doc H

Reply to
DHopper8

Hi,

Again, I stress, BEAMONT is correct - no doubts. His nickname was 'Bee'.

Duncan

Don't assume - check.

Reply to
DunxC

Doesn't the Eduard kit have his markings?

Again, I stress, BEAMONT is correct - no doubts. His nickname was 'Bee'.

Duncan

Don't assume - check.

Reply to
Stanley Parker