Semi OT: Brewster aircraft

Was the Buffalo their only claim to fame in WWII?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I guess you could count the Bucaneer, and the Brewster built Corsairs. I think they were more (in)famous for bad planes and poor quality control. Although The Buffalo actually wasn't so bad in the right hands. See what Finland did with them.

eyeball

I've just realised this was also known as the Buccaneer.

Regards

Pat Macguire

P & H Macguire

That's a very interesting looking aircraft.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

According to an article a few years back in one of the Philadelphia papers Brewster never had much of a chance. It was essentially bought out and owned by the "mob" and as such used as a cash cow for them and not to support the war effort. The "mob" also ran the unions so was not really interested in efficiency or good work. Most of their aircraft were promising designs but got little support from either the Navy or corporate bosses inside the plant. If it had been given the same sort of management other companies got and some really talented designers it would have been interesting to see what could have been done.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following on 19/06/2008 21:35:

There is a reference to a Brewster Bermuda 1 in Aircraft Of The Fighting Powers Vol. III (1942 Edition).

Reply to
Richard Brooks

On Jun 19, 4:41=EF=BF=BDpm, eyeball wrote: Although The Buffalo actually wasn't so bad in the right

It just occured to me to wonder-- if the Finnish ground crews were half as intense as the ones who emigrated to Michigan, hard work might have overcome Brewster's legendary shoddy workmanship.

Reply to
tomcervo

I did a review on the Brewster Buccaneer/Bermuda book by Ginter for the IPMS/USA over the past year.

I don't know that Brewster was particularly innovative design-wise. Compare the Buffalo to the Seversky/Republic P-35/P-43 family, or the Buccaneer with the Vultee Vengeance. Brewster's stuff was just barely good enough.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

them.http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/brewster.htmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Aeronautical_Corporation Add slow delivery.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Carrier fighters are (almost) always more overbuilt and lower performance than comparable Air Force planes. ("Almost" means F4U.)

Reply to
tomcervo