Semi OT: Pickup truck used in old Lassie show ?

I googled and it appears that someone else posted a similar query with no reply. All I remember about the truck was that the wheels had
holes all around them. Not sure if that narrows it down or all trucks had that wheel design...
something about those wheels really intrigued me as a kid. Still does.... Still find Timmy a bit annoying.
thx - Craig

always hoped lassie would just attack and rip timmy to shreds. that was on my way checking to see if the other 2 channels were as lame. i "missed" a lot of "classic" shows because even then, most telly was lame. after 10pm, that was my time. i saw every 1940's, 30's 20's and 50's grade b or worse movies that were made. wish i could get a few back. day of the triffids, wreck of the mary deare, (with old stoneface.) more wundham stuf, like the midwich cuckoos, and many more. the knack and how to get it...that hurricane bob related tear jerker....lost the name. now it's dvr's or the dead zone. i miss cruising for movies. i think i saw all 4 charlie chan's and almost all the movies. some were very sad, or remakes of earlier. some were embarassingly racial stereotyped to the point of making one physically ill.

it was a Dodge, late 50's or early 60's. Don't recall exactly which D- series it was. the "wheels ... holes" thing was pretty common for "heavy duty" use. sometimes called "budd - style" wheels, if they're the ones I recall. (something like small versions of semi-truck fronts?). closest image I could find was a 1960 D-100, but it had the light duty whitewall / wheel combo

Split Rims with Army pattern tires were fairly common back then, before decent one piece rims took over. Maybe cool looking, but you don't want to work on them
** mike **

Exactly. Knew a guy once who was deafened for almost a week when a tire he was repairing let go while he was reinflating it. The upper (outer facing up?) half of the rim seperated and lodged up in the rafters. Missed his head by about two inches. He wouldn't touch one of those rims again - ever!
on 7/11/2009 7:18 AM (ET) The Old Man wrote the following:

I worked as a truck mechanic back in 1959-1960 when I was in my early 20s. I had to change many of those split rim wheel tires. I was taught to never put any part of your body over the wheel when inflating the tire. I used a long stem inflater and my head and body as far away from, and lower than, the wheel as possible. I never looked forward to that job and luckily, never had a ring fly off.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I seem to remember split rims were still around in the mid-70's. Friend of mine worked at a local tire store that had something like 5 shops in the area. owner refused to service split rims after an employee got killed for not following the precautions you outlined.

I think the truck was a 1961 - 63 Dodge Powerwagon one ton. I found one on ebay that has the wheels and all. I don't remember if the one in the show was a dually or not but the one one ebay was, the one on ebay was also a flat bed, too bad for that. Ane the idea of being intrigued by the wheels.. I was too. I can remember them sliding to a stop when "Dad" was in a hurry.

Found it. It's a 1958 Dodge D200 See @, http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_240374-Dodge-200-1958.html

Jeff wasn't much better. I think they both should have been thrown in the well.
replying to Musicman59, John wrote: Yes! I couldnt stand Timmy. Im surprized Lassie didnt leave home.