Skycrane question

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

I was thinking about that, yawing, pitching and spinning, but I kinda figured that the aerodynamics of the carried aircraft would overcome that.

I pictured loops fore and aft of the wings to help balance it, but if the CG was in a spot whwere they could just use one I suppose, but it doesn't feel right intuitively, plus I'm almost positive it won't work as well with the non scale mass of the plastic kits.

Yeah, I'm not planning on doing a lot to the interior. The basic theme for this year is build the oldies as they were, have some fun, remember doing it long ago. I've been sitting on an ever growing collection and I either just don't have enough time or I get so blown away by what others do I get discouraged. Just need to get building.

Well I could do one like that.

Dang, those were the days, weren't they? I was just a touch to young at the time to be paying enough attention. I didn't even really know of BoB or TTT until much later.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

You might enjoy my Scale Modeling Nostalgia group on Yahoo:

.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Already there, Al. Love it! I'm trying to find some of the older kits for my kid and, er, some for me, too.

Great group, Al.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

link seems broken, al.

If you're looking at slingloads, dump the downed aircraft idea and do something really unique - the removal and reinstallation of the Statue of Freedom from the US Capitol Dome in 1993.

Matt Mattingley

Reply to
gmatting

I ran across this link, some time ago.  It is one incredible job of scratchbuilding:

Greg Heilers Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare Linux 10.0

   .....   Remember:  The Constitution only guarantees the right to "pursue" happiness.  It is up to YOU to "catch" it.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Wow!

Please tell me it's not 1/72 scale or smaller... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I suspected you might be but couldn't remember for sure and was just plain too lazy to check. Anyway, you gave me a great opportunity to put in a plug for it... ;)

Heh.

Thanks! It's the members that make it great and I'd sure like to put a few more to get us over the 200 mark.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Try again - it's working fine right now.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

yes, thank you. i go looky.

Thanks for the kind words. References for my remarks are the biographies/autobiographies by US pilots I've read and some works on aviation relating to Vietnam and to warbirds in general. I can recommend "Phantom over Vietnam" by John Trotti USMC (2 tours, IIRC) as a good read, while "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason covers the US chopper angle. For fans of Thuds (F-105s to the uninitiated) "100 Missions North" by Kenneth H Bell will satisfy. Also worth looking for is "Hunting Warbirds" by Carl Hoffman - it's about the modern obsession with paying big bucks to dig up old airframes in the hope they'll fly 'one day'. A damn fine read.

And, while I was looking around for stuff, I found this list of further reading... now I'll have to go get the ones I'm missing.

For a look at Aussie Huey ops in 'Nam, get this one. RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

"Rob Grinberg" wrote in news:41e1bdc0 snipped-for-privacy@news.chariot.net.au:

I have "Phantoms" and "ChickenHawk". Fanatastic books. While I was reading Phantom I happened to be working for a retired USAF Phnantom driver in Vietnam. Got a few more interesting tidbits from him too.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Additions to the list: "Going Downtown" "Thud Ridge" Both on F-105 ops by Broughton! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill, You stole my thunder!!! (Pun intended) In addition to giving very good explanation of flight ops over NVN, Broughton also confirms my thoughts about the stupid politics (in the military establishment, thanks to that twit, MacNamara (and no, I don't really care if I spelled his name right or not)) in that war. Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre