some re releases i like

yeah, from guess who.... thier jenny, which is eminently suited to super detail and the merrimac monitor pair. two different scales but another childhood kit i want to revisit. i never built the bald eagle or nantucket light ship, but they look like fun.

Reply to
someone

The Jenny is a lot of fun; nice little kit.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

With the Jenny being reissued, I might just built the twin-engined variant of 1918. The type was used briefly as a mailplane, but was originally envisioned as a tactical bomber from what I've read. I used a pair of kits some years ago to replicate the N-8, basicly a long-winged Jenny by adding an extra bay to the wings and making some tweaks. I read somewhere that either the Model N (another conversion) or the N-8 were used by Pershing's forces in Mexico, making that aircraft America's first true "Warplane".

Reply to
The Old Man

i plan to build numbers 10 and 11.

Reply to
someone

i will finally scratch a seaplane version. it has much longer wings and takes a fair bit of work. plus all the float stuff. but it is one cool looker.

Reply to
someone

That would be the N-9. If memory serves, you'll have a ~lot~ of tweaking to do; although both aircraft looked similar, there were considerable differences between them.

Reply to
The Old Man

yes, quite a challenge but there is a good online build to aid me. i need to jenny's and an se5 kit. all lindberg's, so it won't be hugely expensive. the se5 has the correct motor. it will be pushing the limits of my current skills and should sharpen them.

Reply to
someone

That's the Vuhginia, Suh!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

the winners write the history. but yes, she was the css virginia.

Reply to
someone

There's a funny story about that...there's a surviving letter from one of the crew, and he calls it the Merrimack. So I don't know what the situation was as to what it was called by the people aboard it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Maybe because it was always considered bad luck by the regular seamen to change the name of a vessel. Politicans, however, were under no such compunction...

Reply to
The Old Man

Are you sure? According to one of my references, the N-9 used an OX-6 (the JN-4D using an OX-5). The SE5a used a Wolseley W.4a Viper. However I DON'T know the differences or similarities between that engine and the OX-6. Where is the online site? It sounds like an interesting build.

Reply to
The Old Man

guy is really good.

Reply to
someone

Indeed, it's beautifully done.... Thanks.

Reply to
The Old Man

it intimidates me into having to do it.

Reply to
someone

I was in a strange mood last night and I was making a jocular reference to last year's debate here about the name(s). Must have swallowed a feather...

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller