Stealth Headed for Mothballs

hard to believe she is 27 years old. Now I feel old.

Craig

Air Force's stealth fighters making final flights STORY HIGHLIGHTS F-117 to have informal retirement ceremony Tuesday in Ohio Jets first flew in combat in 1989 in Panama F-117s being mothballed to free up money for F-22 Raptors

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- The world's first attack aircraft to employ stealth technology is slipping quietly into history.

Technicians service an F-117 stealth fighter after it arrived at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, on Monday.

The inky black, angular, radar-evading F-117, which spent 27 years in the Air Force arsenal secretly patrolling hostile skies from Serbia to Iraq, will be put in mothballs next month in Nevada.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, which manages the F-117 program, will have an informal, private retirement ceremony Tuesday with military leaders, base employees and representatives from Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico.

The last F-117s scheduled to fly will leave Holloman on April 21, stop in Palmdale, California, for another retirement ceremony, then arrive on April 22 at their final destination: Tonopah Test Range Airfield in Nevada, where the jet made its first flight in 1981.

The government has no plans to bring the fighter out of retirement, but could do so if necessary.

"I'm happy to hear they are putting it in a place where they could bring it back if they ever needed it," said Brig. Gen. Gregory Feest, the first person to fly an F-117 in combat, during the 1989 invasion of Panama that led to the capture of dictator Manuel Noriega.

The Air Force decided to accelerate the retirement of the F-117s to free up money to modernize the rest of the fleet. The F-117 is being replaced by the F-22 Raptor, which also has stealth technology.

Fifty-nine F-117s were made; 10 were retired in December 2006 and 27 since then, the Air Force said. Seven of the planes have crashed, one in Serbia in 1999.

Don't Miss Air Force worn out, generals say Stealth technology used on the F-117 was developed in the 1970s to help evade enemy radar. While not invisible to radar, the F-117's shape and coating greatly reduced its detection.

The F-117, a single-seat aircraft, was designed to fly into heavily defended areas undetected and drop its payloads with surgical precision.

A total of 558 pilots have flown the F-117 since it went operational. They dub themselves "bandits," with each given a "bandit number" after their first flight.

Feest, who is Bandit 261, also led the first stealth fighter mission into Iraq during Desert Storm in 1991. He said the fire from surface- to-air missiles and anti-aircraft guns was so intense that he stopped looking at it to try to ease his fears.

"We knew stealth worked and it would take a lucky shot to hit us, but we knew a lucky shot could hit us at any time," he said.

Incredibly, not one stealth was hit during those missions, he said.

Reply to
crw59

they are being kept for emergencies, i guess. well, some anyway.

Reply to
someone

A visiting Nighthawk crewman once told me that the folk that work around them have been bucking for hazardous duty pay since their introduction just for that reason - interesting jet, serious hunk of hazmat.

Reply to
Rufus

those tiles must be some serious shit.

Reply to
someone

I heard they are being mothballed at Tonopah. I guess they are something of a hazmat situation.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The folks who were working on them would go to the doctors but not be able to tell them what was causing their troubles. Lousy way to handle people's health. Yeah, I know, top secret project. Someone should have figured out how to get a health facility into the project just for the workers.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The RAM is supposed to be toxic if burned, but that shouldn't be much of a hazmat problem if you just ground it up and buried it. I wonder if they put some sort of isotopes in the RAM paint to ionize the air around the aircraft and cut its RCS that way. The Russians are working on that technology, using plasma emitters. That would account for the need to refinish the aircraft from time-to-time as the isotopes decayed.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Call me cynical, but retired or not, they're still a pit that plenty of money will be dropped into (secretly of course, like any other aspect of the project) because they're still a viable weapon. That means pilot training, maintenance and training thereof, parts inventory, etc, etc, "just in case". Our/my tax dollars at work. I'd rather spend my excess tax dollars on modeling, or maybe even being able to keep my own plane flying? Avgas ain't gettin any cheaper.

-- Message posted using

information at

Disco58

Actually carbon fiber is a problem when burned. It creates a pure carbon ash/smoke that can coat insulators on electronic equipment and knock it out of operation. There are rumors of folks working on "carbon bombs". Any crash of a plane with significant amounts of carbon fiber structure is a hazard to surrounding power lines, transformers, radio and radar antennas, etc.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

e:

Yeah, just like the workers at Bethlehem Steel who were exposed to uranium during the Mahatten Project. My late brother-in-law told me once that some of those sites are still "hot"....

Reply to
The Old Man

I heard that. It seems like only yesterday that I first saw one inside a hanger at Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque during an open house. All roped off and a dozen armed guards around it so you couldn't get closer than maybe 40'. Time is fun when you're having flies said the bullfrog. Grandpa John

Reply to
MySelf

We used something along the lines of "carbon bombs" during the first Gulf War. Drones were launched into Iraq where they circled over power plants and substations unwinding carbon fibers that fell into the electric lines, shorting them out and disabling the electric grid (I don't remember if they used Chukar drones or cruise missiles for this mission). The fibers are hardly visible to the naked eye, and that makes finding and removing them very difficult for the enemy, disabling their power stations for a considerable amount of time as they shift around every time the wind comes up, causing new shorts.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That, and the stuff they paint them with. Said they limit personnel exposure by limiting the length of tour that anyone could work around them and that was what was keeping them from getting hazard pay.

We had one come in here with an emergency a couple years back - bleed air leak - one evening, and the pilot just shut it down on the runway, egressed, and vanished. They wanted some of my guys to go out and at least tow it clear of the runway and they all refused - made the USAF send up a crew from Edwards to do it. And get it the hell off our line...I forget where it was actually from. HO, more than likely.

Reply to
Rufus

I think it more a problem with the dust that comes from just maintaining the aircraft. And the surface finish compounds. If you ever do get a chance to see one up close, one of the things you'll notice is that there aren't the usual maintenance access panels all over it. So you can figure what that means for yourself...

Reply to
Rufus

The parts inventory should be pretty cheap, seeing as they were mostly constructed using existing hardware - ex: F/A-18 displays, F-15 gear, etc.

Reply to
Rufus

Yeah...nasty stuff in an of itself. And if the composite also has any boron in it (like some Eagle parts) stand WAY back.

Reply to
Rufus

We had a flight of four of them come in for some activity a number of years back - got to pretty much do a crew walk around on each of them and chat with the guards before they got completely unpacked and the ropes went up. Then we had some fun...

Guard: "Ok. I gotta go to work now. If you're on that side of the rope, look all you want. But if ya lean over the rope, or step past the rope, I'm gonna have to shoot ya. Got it? Ok?"

They were on the schedule for a couple weeks and I think the whole joint quit work just to watch the man ups and launches. Interesting airplane.

Reply to
Rufus

From what I've heard, the only "tiles" are back on the lower exit nozzles of the engine exhaust to keep the underbelly of the tail from heating up and making it a IR target. These are supposed to be fairly similar to the Shuttle's silica belly tiles, but tougher. Overall structure of the aircraft is supposed to be primarily standard aluminum alloy with some composites, and with a sprayed-on RAM coating, rather than sheets of RAM being glued to it. One thing that was very noticeable on the one that was shot down in Serbia was how lightweight the wing structure was; video of the crash site showed two guys picking up a very large section of one wing and carrying it away. On the one I saw close-up all the junction points of the facets had some sort of black RAM tape over them, looking for all the world like black duct tape.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I have walked around one from around ten feet away, and as you say, there aren't many access openings in the body at all. Where things are screwed onto the body (like the screen covering over the upper nose FLIR/laser designator turret) the screwheads are covered with some sort of RAM caulking compound. Apparently, Lockheed had to come up with odd screw head slot designs, as the conventional Phillips' head screw reflected radar.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The one I could never figure out was what the C-130 air conditioning system was all about.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery