Russian Bomber Buzzes The Nimitz

2000 feet above the deck? Twice? So who is gonna catch hell for that?

Craig

Russian bomber buzzes U.S. aircraft carrier STORY HIGHLIGHTS One jet twice flew about 2,000 feet over the deck of the USS Nimitz, U.S. military says U.S. Defense officials say four F/A-18A fighter jets from the Nimitz were in the air Japanese officials tell AP one of the jets violated their country's airspace

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- American fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers, one of which buzzed a U.S. aircraft carrier in the western Pacific over the weekend, U.S. military officials told CNN Monday.

A Tupolev-95 flies over the Izu Islands, just south of Tokyo, Saturday.

One of them twice flew about 2,000 feet over the deck of the USS Nimitz Saturday while another flew about 50 miles away, officials said. Two others were at least 100 miles away, the military reported.

U.S. Defense officials said four F/A-18A fighter jets from the Nimitz were in the air.

The Russians and the U.S. cartrier did not exchange verbal communications. Watch U.S. aircraft carrier USS Nimitz =BB

Four turboprop Tupolev-95 Bear bombers took off from Ukrainka air base, in Russia's Far East, in the middle of the night, Japanese officials told The Associated Press, adding that one of the jets violated Japanese airspace.

Russian bombers have been making flights over the western Pacific for several months. In September, two U.S. F-15 fighters scrambled to intercept a plane that came within 50 miles of the coastline.

There have been eight incidents off Alaska since July. Among the latest, on September 5, six F-15s from Elmendorf Air Force Base, adjacent to Anchorage, Alaska, intercepted six Russian bombers about

50 miles from the northwest coast of Alaska.

Two similar incidents occurred in August, one near Cape Lisburne, Alaska, and the other near Cold Bay, Alaska, west of the Aleutian Islands. E-mail to a friend

Reply to
crw59

Oh, they used to get a lot closer to Navy ships than that in the good ol' days. IIRC there was a case of a Tu-16 "Badger" in the 1960's that flew over a Navy ship at just above mast-top level twice, then tried it again and collided with the waves, exploding with the loss of its whole crew. This is just Putin rattling his saber a bit again on the way out. But don't expect things to change when the new guy sits on the Czar's throne...Russia is back on the world stage.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

IIRC 2000 feet is well within limits for "Rules of the Sea" regarding maritime interceptions.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

SHOT THE BASTARDS DOWN!!!

Reply to
JLEJONES

Should have shot it down and reminded the Old-Soviets that the US is currently at war. Let Putin complain to the UN for a change.

Mad Vlad won't order overflights of Israel anytime soon.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I surely wouldn't consider 2000' to be much of a 'buzz job'!

200', yeah, maybe, but 2000'?

Reply to
frank

I don't know about aircraft in proximity to ships, but if it's aircraft in proximity to other aircraft, we've got problems:

Pat :-)

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Comrade! The friendly Bear pays a visit to Japan also!:

the Russo-Japanese fish-fight looms:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: : 2000 feet above the deck? Twice? So who is gonna catch hell for : that? : What is the problem here? The Ruskies are our friends, remember? After all, the Crawford village idiot "... looked the man in the eye," he said, and "I was able to get a sense of his soul", and pronounced that all was well.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

rden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Very sorry for stirring things up. :-)

Craig

Reply to
crw59