Round Wings

I want to do some round wings aircraft.

So far I have the MAI Avrocar, the Special Hobby Sack and the Mando Models Discoplane.

Anybody know of others and 1/72 kits of them?

TIA

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

ones that probably never existed:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Thanks Pat.I had already added the Sword Vought V-173 and Pegasus XF5U-1 for a total of five on hand.Now to seek out a Fine Molds XF5U-1. Actually I need two, one for a friend.Happy modeling,TomOn Feb

11, 11:15=A0pm, Pat Flannery wrote:>

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:> > > Anybody know of others and 1/72 kits of them?> >

And ones that probably never existed:
> Pat

Reply to
maiesm72

The details in the Unicraft kit of the BMW Flugelrad I V1 state that the single prototype was built in 1943 and made a maiden flight between August and September of the same year from the Czech airfield of Prag-Kbely.

Does anyone know if this actually took place? I want to do models of round wing aircraft, but I'm sticking to those which reached at least the prototype stage, not paper projects. Of the six that I have so far only the XF5U-1 never flew.

TIA,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I don't know about models, but I have been collecting patents, NACA papers, and anything else I can find on circular airplanes. If anyone wants anything, ask. The best stuff seems to be from Zimmerman who was responsible for the V-173.

Mike

Reply to
mholt

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

In all likelihood the whole Flugelrad story is a complete fabrication; as you go back in time, things about it become just a rumor, and over the years more and more details are added to it, like the Loch Ness monster and Bigfoot stories. Supposedly, it was based on this technology:

completely forgot this wonder, which although there is no model of it available, has to be seen to be believed, and did indeed get built, at least as a subscale prototype. Behold René Couzinet's RC-360 Aerodyne in all of its glory:
was to be lifted by rotor blades around its periphery, and driven forward by a jet engine under its belly. The rotors are spinning here:
at rest here:
's a close-up of the rotors:
as I might, I have never been able to figure out the principle this thing was supposed to use to generate lift and control itself... it appears there are two sets of rotors at two different levels on both the top and bottom sections of the saucer, and that the top and bottom probably counter-rotate to cancel out the gyroscopic effect. Here's more on it, from the USAF Air Intelligence Digest in 1956:
project, in a warped form, could be responsible for the Flugelrad story also, as the layout is very similar...besides which, Couzinet did some work with the Germans in occupied France during WW II.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I'm a diehard fan of two wings and round engines, but round wings and two engines? Hmm....

-- Message posted using

information at

Disco58

two winged, round engines? two engines round here?

Reply to
someone

My interest in round winged aircraft was begun several years back when I stumbled across one stored in the rafters of a garage/shed that was once a hanger. All that was left was the wood and canvas "rotor" which would have been attached to a DH.4. The lower wing was shortened, but left in place, as were the tail unit, landing gear, engine and cowling. The circular device was attached to a shaft between the cockpits.

As the aircraft picked up speed the "rotor" began rotating, creating lift. An autogyro, right? But wait. As the speed increased the "rotor", which was cut into a spiral, expanded like a De Vinci airscrew, giving tremendous lift. Cool, huh?

I have photos of the thing and copies of the patent. It never made it as far as being attached to an aircraft as the arrival of slats and flaps ended the need. The inventor, Marin County's first Sheriff, went on to become the first county fish and game officer as well. He patrolled from Stinson Beach where his hanger was/is. On one occasion he exchanged gun fire with poachers in West Marin.

After this batch of round wings I may attempt Selmer's odd machine.

Cheers,

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@some.doma> > >I'm a diehard fan of two wings and round engines, but round wings and two

Reply to
maiesm72

According to the ancient Doug Rolfe book, "Airplanes of the World", there were a apparently number of fairly successful flying disks going back to the pioneer era (pre-WWI) like the Kitchen "Doughnut" (circular biplane wings with central circular cut outs), Cedric Lee's Disk craft (monoplane), and the Miami University "Flying Saucer" (parasol disk wing). Contact me via email at braungart (at) verison (dot) net if you'd like scans.

Reply to
The Old Man