ESM 72 Vol.9, #1

ESM 72 Vol.9,#1 is almost ready. Ths issue covers aircraft kit manufacturers from S.A. Models to Sword along wth all of our regular updates for vehicles and third subject kits.

To date ESM 72 has listed 14,129 1/72 (and close) aircraft kits and models in every medum from injecton molded to vacuform with 3,800 illustrations of kit box art, built models and the like.

The vehicles section has covered 4,273 kits and models in 1/72 and 1/76 (and close) with 519 illustrations. The nature of vehicle listings has always limited illustratons so we have added a full page of vehicle illustrations to make up somewhat for the space limitations.

Other catagories:

Figures 3,403 (including boxed sets of several figures n 1/72 and

1/76). Artillery 470. Rockets, Missiles and Spacecraft 483. Ships and Boats 275. Tons of after market stuff from conversions to detailing sets.

It should be noted that there are more new products hitting the market than ever before. Over 75% of all 1/72-1/76 kits have been produced in the last ten years.

So much for the industry "experts" decrying the end of the hobby and the death of 1/72 scale. :-)

E-mail for subscription information.

Tom & Lynne Young for MAI/ESM 72

Reply to
maiesm72

Tom, have you ever considered sending sample issues to sites like HS, MM, ARC and IM? After years of visiting these sites and r.m.s., I still don't have any idea what ESM looks like: is it a magazine or a book, what size, b&w or color, how many pages, typical content, text listings or a lot of box art, etc. Giving a better idea of this could lead to more interest I would think.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Rob

The original EMM 72 was a book published in French, English and Italian. It was published in 1985 (France) and 1988 (England, U.S. and Italy). We listed 5,900 1/72 scale kits and models with over 500 color photos of box art, built models, etc. I have a small supply of the American hardcover edition which sold for about $29 95 available for $15.

In 1996 we started publishing ESM 72 as a quarterly magazine because kit listings became out of date by the time each issue hit the mails. Each issue is about fifty pages of 8 1/2" x 11" three hole punched with listings for aircraft, vehicles and a third subject ranging from artillery to ships and boats. Vol.1-7 were strictly b&w, Vol.7 had color front covers, Vol.8 and since then color front and back covers. Binders are available for each volume. Subscription is $25 in the U.S., $30 elsewhere.

Over the years we have covered kits by kit manufacturer, aircraft by manufacturer, vehicles by country and two volumes of specific catagories such as WWI, Training Aircraft, etc.

We also manufactur cast resin (and one injecton molded) kits under the MAI label. Catalog of all MAI/ESM 72 products available on request.

Thanks you for the suggestion to send review copies to internet magazine producers. As soon as I can get a list of mailing addresses I'll do just that.

Our databases for all 1/72 scale subjects have been mentioned before, especially when discussing how many kits and models have been produced. I am always happy to help anyone who wants to know if something has been produced in 1/72 as long as it isn't somethng along the lines of "Please e-mail me a list of every 1/72 kit of WWII German aircraft ever produced", a request that I actually received a couple of years back.

Once again, thank you for your interest. I hope that it helps you to decide to subscribe.

Happy modeling,

Tom Young for MAI/ESM 72

38 Prince Royal Passage Corte Madera, California 94925
Reply to
maiesm72

I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews!

My scale is 1/72 too. I have your original EMM 72 and an older Burns guide, and they are great reading. I'm trying really hard to remain a builder and not become a collector. I find collecting a fascinating hobby, but I'll leave it to others.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

I forgot to reply to this part. I believe your knowledge of 1/72 kits is greatly appreciated here at rec.models.scale. Your research service (if still available) is also excellent, I've seen an example and I was impressed!

Earlier I posted a question about the 12 Squared Gnat 750. Its existence has been confirmed already, but do you perhaps know if this was the last or one of the last kits produced by 12 Squared?

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

it's a slippery slope. i love the old airfix box art. so maybe a couple cheapies wouldn't hurt....do i have all the lindberg german stuff? wow! a variant of a sacco-vanzetti dg531 i never knew about, better grab that. y o W l !!!!!

down ya go.

I'm not sure if the Gnat was 12 Squared's last offering.

I do have a call in to Bill at Berkeley Ace Hardware. He's checking to see if he has a Gnat for you. Can't promise anything, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Just in case you were wondering what rocket aircraft and UAVs 12 Squared offered, here is a list from the database:

BELL X-1 BELL X-1E GENERAL ATOMICS Gnat-750 UVA GENERAL DYNAMICS AGM-109 Tomahawk Cruise Missile with Cart HATRY/OPEL RAK.1 HEINKEL He.176 First Variant HEINKEL He.176 Second Variant KAWANISHI Baika MITSUBISHI J8M1 Shusui NORTHROP GAM-67 Crossbow Cruise Missile with Cart NORTHROP HL-10 NORTHROP JB-2 Loon NORTHROP JB-10 RYAN BQM-34 Firebee II with Cart

Always happy to accept additions, deletions, corrections.

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

does berkely do mail order tom? would love to ask them about some stuff.

Thanks a lot, very kind! I'm definitely interested in obtaining one. If he has more stock, like the Tomahawk and the Firebee, I would like to order these too.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Try:

1510-845-0410

Ask for Bill and tell him that Tom sent you. If you keep it to a couple of items at a time he can probably help.

Another great source for hard to find kits is KCC. Six newsletters per year contain members wants and disposal lists which are published free with membership/subscription.

Tom

e wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

I'll ask when he calls back and post here what he has in the way of 12 Squared.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

does he have email? thanks, tom