Re: Need eBay advice, model listed in wrong scale

As for the 5/32" = 1', well, I didn't even think about doing the math.

The math isn't that hard. The ratio isn't 5" = 32", its 5" = 32 feet, so:

Multiply 32 times 12 (= 384) and divide by 5 (76.8)

And yes, Aurora's scale accuracy was usually off to any degree.

The Old Timer

I would suggest that whether it is a 'collectible' or a 'builder' is irrelevant here. He purchased it based upon particular part of an incorrect description. Ebay should back him up if he demands a rescission of the sale. I wouldn't hesitate to ask. Not for a second.

-- C.R. Krieger "Ignore 'em, m'dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

No, actually, since 5/32" = 1' is 1/76 scale, I'd be being awfully nitpicky to say the guy said in his description that it's 1/76, but the box says it's 5/32" to the foot scale. (Of course the 'brain surgeons' at eBay wouldn't know that so they probably would say he was wrong) That'd be like me buying an HO scale model only to find it listed as

1/87 on the package. As for what math I DID do in my head, well, 1/96 is 1/8" (or 4/32") to the foot, so when I measured it & found the span about 1/90, well, 5/32" to the foot doesn't sound too far off. If you look at it that way, it just doesn't seem like 1/32" can be the diff between 1/76 & 1/96. Any misunderstanding is mine alone & I would've jumped the gun..
Reply to
Frank May

Reminds me of a couple civil aircraft that are made by IIRC, some South American Lindberg subsidiary. I don't read Spanish, but the box states both

1/48 and 1/72. Kim M

Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Aurora had quite a few kits to that scale. The "B-29" jumps to mind and I think the F-100A was too. Their 1/48 stuff was indeed often referred to as 1/4" on the boxes. Perhaps Aurora thought using real scale ratios wouldn't have meant much to the kids building their kits. It took Airfix to enforce the common scale theme, IMHO.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

It wasn't incorrect. 5/32" = 1' *is* 1/76 scale (well, actually

1/76.8 but close enough).
Reply to
Al Superczynski

Which is? 1/76? He did the math for you according to the manufactor's discription. If you have a beef it should be with Aurora not the seller..

Reply to
ARMDCAV

If you are building the model then you may want to forget it and get the Italeri kit. It's 1/72 scale and generations better than the ancient Aurora kit.

If you are buying it for collecting the scale shouldn't matter one bit. Either you want it for your collection or you don't.

It was suggested that you complain to Aurora. Good idea. First you design and build a functioning time machine. Next you go back to 1976, the last year that they were producing kits before Monogram purchased them. Complain away.

Good luck.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Hey, the guy's already admitted he made a mistake why not let the whole thing drop ?

Reply to
Umineko

So here's another incorrect scale Q. I always heard that N scale is

1/160.
Reply to
Frank May

I'm not building it, just collecting. Here lately I've had a thing for kits I saw &/or bought & built back in the early '70s. Anyway, this was one. As for a builder kit, my favorite B-58 kit to build is the Lindberg

1/64 (or is it the 3/16" = 1' one?) ;) Anyway, I love that old kit! I do have an Italeri/Testors in my stash, tho. Now, if I could do the time machine thing........ ;)
Reply to
Frank May

Um, sort of.

Standing by themselves any 1/72 or 1/76 model will look good. It's when you use a 1/72 vehicle and a 1/76 vehicle of the same (or close to it) type that things don't look right.

A great many modelers have been successful using a vehicle from one scale and troops and/or equipment from the other.

There have also been the occasional case where the smaller scale (1/76) is used to force perspective with a 1/72 vehicle to the front. This works far better in a photograph than on close inspection by the pocket flashlight brigade.

1/76 is slowly disappearing from the injection molded kit scene. Almost all of the new kits are 1/72, but there are still a lot of cast resin and cast metal kits coming out to 1/76.

The current ESM 72 vehicle database for 1/72-1/76 contains over 3,500 listings. Subscription information on request.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I know what you mean Frank. I had one of those Lindberg 1/64 kits and it made a nice model. I had a lot of fun doing various shades of nmf and it looked great. I should have kept it but it went when the Italeri 1/72 B-58 arrived in the stores. I never built that one anyway.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I think you're right. I never got into those as they were just too tiny.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

N-Scale is 1/160, though I sometimes use 1/144 scale stuff in stand alone situations or where the size difference won't be too obvious.

Dean

Dean

Reply to
Dean Eubanks
1/72 vs 1/76? Kinda hard to tell the difference, no? Jerry 47
Reply to
jerry 47

The Lindberg 1/64 scale B-58 is much more accurate than the Italeri kit which has a too short fuselage that throws the wing planform way out as well. We really need an *accurate* 1/72 scale B-58 kit.

Reply to
Al Superczynski