Supermarine S6B drawings?

Does anyone know where I can find fairly detailed drawings or blueprints for the Supermarine S6B Schneider Trophy aircraft? I've been all over the web, including the RAF and British Science Museum sites, with no real success. I'm trying to help a customer who's a little stuck on the details of the pontoon attachments.

Thanks!

Bart Brown

Reply to
bartbrn

Hi Bart, I took a few photographs at the Science Museum back in January. The couple I have of the S6B aren't great, but they may be a starting point. Let me know if you want me to send them, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

The S6 (not S6B) is at Southampton Hall of Aviation if that is more convenient.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

The Air Racer, by Charles A. Mendenhall. The book is sold by a number of mail order aviation book dealers (check amazon too).

There are plans for the S6, but I do not find the S6b. Can the S6 do?

The book is FILLED with dozens of three views of various racing classes, from earliest air racing to comtemporary unlimiteds.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Bill --

Thanks very much -- *everything* helps! I'd be most obliged if you could email me jpegs of what you have on the S6B. I'm at:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
bartbrn

Don --

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if the S6 would do as well as the S6B

-- my customer is trying to figure out how the pontoons were tied together, and if the 6 and 6B were the same in that respect, that would be perfectly fine. Please direct me to where I might find the S6 plans.

Sounds like a great book -- I'm going to check it out.

Thanks again for your help!

Bart

Reply to
bartbrn

Thanks, Nigel! I've been to both the spitfireonline and Science Museum sites online (I'm in the US -- I WISH I were in London!) -- great images, just not of what we need to see.

Thanks for your help!

Bart

Reply to
bartbrn

FWIW There was an article on accurizing the old Hawk 1/48 scale S6B in one of the issues of "Quarter Scale Modeller" magazine. It mentioned correcting some of the pontoon strut work. I'll see if I can find it.

Bill Shuey

bartbrn wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have built the old Hawk kit , It was like scratch building as I seemed to have to rebuild a big heap of the kit, also built the transport dolly it sat on, most of my info came from a "Flight Magazine " covering the event

Reply to
JDorsett