Looking for Decals for C-130 Herc

I recently acquired a Testors (Italeri) Lockheed C-130 Hercules in 1:48 scale. The decal sheet is out of registration and the stars and bars are grossly incorrect. The red bar is nearly at the top where the white band should be. Thus, I am looking for a C-130 decal sheet. SMO has only one for the IDF (Entebbe raid) which is not suitable. The decal sheet in hand has low-vis or subdued markings that I prefer not to use. Any sources or ideas would be appreciated. I have checked thru the decal stash, and none of the post WWII decals are proper size so robbing peter to pay Paul is not an option relative to stock on hand. Thanks for your time and assistance, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

You didn't indicate what paint scheme / time period you were looking at so here are a couple of options per Technical Order 1-1-4 ("Exterior Finishes, Insignia and Markings Applicable to USAF Aircraft"). The information should be pretty accurate for the Vietnam era to current date.

Non-camouflaged C-130s (exterior color aluminum or grey 16473 per the TO) used a 50-inch diameter (circular blue area) US national insignia on both fuselage and wings.

Camouflaged aircraft (Vietnam type scheme): Technical Order 1-1-4 (various changes) indicates that camouflaged aircraft used a red-white-blue 15-inch diameter (circular blue area) US national insignia in all locations.

With other types of camouflage, the TO calls for all black insignia of the same dimensions as the Vietnam era.

Ed

Reply to
robbelothe

Sorry for the omission of critical information. I appreciate your patience. I have the E/H variant and am planning to build the E type with the Viet Nam type. The original decal sheet with the National Insignia appears to be something on the order of 15inches. My take is that I need to find a sheet of assorted post WWII multiple size bars 'n stars shee to match them up.

**THANKS** B.A.

Reply to
Bruce Apple

Yep. The 15-inch equivalent shoudl be what you need. Pretty much any decals from the Vietnam era in 1/48 scale should work.

Check out these:

Aeromaster sheet 48-444 US Modern Insignia (OOP) (You'll have to try eBay=99.)

Ed

Reply to
robbelothe

I've probably mentioned this before but there is an Egyptian Air Force C-130 that shows up at the cargo terminal at Baltimore-Washington International regularly that would make a really spectacular model. Desert camouflage and very cleanly maintained last time I got a good look. I keep watching for something I could use for insignia. Does anyone make a set of 1/32 scale Egyptian insignia for an F-16 or such?? Should work for a 1/48 Herk! I think she is supporting an Egyptian Air Force purchasing commission or something like that.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey