Thinning Klear/ Future

My Academy 1/32 F16 has finally got some paint and is ready for decals. Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you folks use to thin Klear/ Future down for spraying? Would alcohol or water be best? The colour coat is a mix of Tamiya and Lifecolor acrylics. After getting this far with what has been an absolute pig of a kit, I'd hate to blow it now.

flak monkey

You could use either. I wouldn't use windshield solvent because the tinting may affect the Future/ Klear clarity. I must say though, it's pretty runny as is, and I'm not sure if anyone actually thins the stuff, at least not that anyone has mentioned.

Reply to
Disco58

i use 90% alcohol.

Absolutely nothing. Future is already plenty thin enough for airbrushing. For cleanup, use an ammonia-based glass cleaner.

Sometimes I don't even bother with the airbrush -- I just apply it with a wide chisel-edged art brush. Future self-levels and dries without brush marks. All you have to watch for are drips, and even those are easy to fix by touching it with a bit of paper towel before it starts to dry.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I never thin it - it's thin enough. Just make sure that when you spray it on, you don't get any runs.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

flak monkey a émis l'idée suivante :

Nothing to spray, the flow of Future is perfect, and acetone to clean the airbrush.

Reply to
Flying Frog

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be spraying it neat later on this evening. After I've replaced the ignition module in my 1/1 scale Mazda MX3. Ho hum. Reason I asked was that I seem to remember a problem with Lifecolor acryls bleeding under a clear coat a long time back, but I couldn't remember what the clear coat was for the life of me, and this is the first time I've used Klear in this way.

flak monkey

Do you have a paint dummy? I have a number of old kits that have built as airframes only. The rest of the parts have been consigned to the spares box. If I ever have any doubts about various paint combinations, I repaint one of the paint dummies to match, just to try things out.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

HTH Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

No, I don't have one of those. I've just returned to modeling after a few years out, and don't have anything lying around I can throw paint over. There's an Academy F-16 just in front of me that I'm tempted to use as a paint dummy though...

flak monkey