Udet's Fokker e.iii

I'm building Eduard's 1/72 e.iii in Udet's spring 1916 colors

- red bands on fuselage / old style crosses. Looking around, I can't decide whether to add a windscreen. Some of the drawings and models out there show a windscreen, and some do not. The Eduard kit does not include the windscreen, and doesn't show one on the kit plans. Windscreens on e.iii's seem to be subject to a coin flip.

Has anyone seen a photograph (not a drawing or painting) of Udet's e.iii?

Reply to
Norm Koger

the best i could find was this photo of Udet standing in front of "AN" E.III - not saying it is "THE" E.III, but you can see the faint outline of a small windscreen there behind the gun - just doesn't seem to be many of Udet's early pre-Dr.I photos out there.

http://204.83.160.230/archive/images1/FokkerEinsitzer_Udet.jpg fwiw: there are plenty if really nice WWI ref. shots here;

good luck. dave

Reply to
dparks

Thanks. Unfortunately, it isn't "the" E.III. The fuselage cross marking on the plane I want is within a diagonal white field sandwiched between diagonal red and black stripes. The markings are very popular - probably the most commonly seen set on E.III models - with and without windscreens :)

There are all kinds of paintings and drawings around. I just can't seem to locate a photograph.

Reply to
Norm Koger

So have a guess, just like every other Great War modeller does. :-) The odds are 50/50...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Rob

You reckon? Well bugger me, time to sell off several hundred useless books.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

Shane

If there ain't a pic, you just gotta guess. :-) Good to see you're still kickin'.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

True - so like another poster stated, you may end up having to guess with a 50/50 shot at begin correct. :-)

That photo is labeled "Kampfeinsitzerkommando Habsheim" (Kampf Einsitzer Kommando Habsheim), one of Udets' earliest units, and given that the E.III behind his company in the photo shows a faint hint of a windscreen; i really think it's a safe bet that Udet's plane would have also been equipped with one.

Good luck!

Reply to
dparks

I agree. We haven't heard from Shane in a long time.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller