UK Folks TV Bomber Crew Ch.4 Series

Hi Everyone,

Just in case no one is aware, beginning on channel 4 tomorrow night (Monday), at 9pm is a four part series of a crew being trained as in WW2 for flying the Lancaster.

The crews made up of 5 men and 1 woman and should be good to watch.

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
SL

Wife watching celebrity rubbish Twin recording Spoks - no repeat - I had to play hunt the blank tape and use a VCR for the first time this year - glad I had my old Sanyo BetaHiFi still connected!

Reply to
Martin

Guess we'll have to wait for The History Channel/Discovery Channel version. 8-( I know PBS used to show a lot of BBC's programming, but I guess TDC and History Channel can afford to pay more for programming.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Hi Martin & Don,

Its worth watching as it interviews bomber crew from the time and what they all agree on is they felt the worst on being told what the nights operations were to be. If a good area then obviously they felt more at ease, but if heavy flak area not so good.

One crew member says that after a heavy night on returning, all the crews in the next quarters were lost, just totally wiped out and happened quite often in the early days (1942).

Another point about the training crew in the programme is that all their grandfathers were bomber crew, very touching, and they'll be training on aircraft of the time. Already been on the Harvard and now between two for pilot, and will be flying a Beech I think next, then Sally-B and finally one gets to fly the Lanc.

Good thing mentioned by former crew is that the B-17 crews always showed of their plane, and it was great, but the Lanc boys showed their bomb bay that held twice as much as the Flying Fortress and the US men were impressed.

I'm recording the series on vcr, so if you want a copy I'm sure I could manage.

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
SL

I think over the entire war the Lanc averaged twice the load of the B17

Reply to
Martin

being a britophile, i think it's cool but the armament was a joke. when did the rear 50's come in?

Just watched episode two...

Apart from them mis-identifying Cessna Bobcat's as Beech-18's it was another excellent show.

Lots of interviews with former bomber crews talking about their experiences.

Our trainees were all put up in a Beech 18 and discovered how difficult it was to a)find and then b)bomb a small target.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

Oh sod it!!! I forgot to tape it! Did anyone in the UK tape it so I can borrow the tape, please?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley