Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter

Price:$23.95 Image: http:///image.php?id=B001HZYALCBest deal: http:///index.php?id=B001HZYALC

I bought this and several other fire starting devises to test them out for emergencies. Overall I have to say the product works great and is very well constructed. It has earned a place in one of my emergency kits.

Pros:

  • Good solid construction.
  • Quality flint and thick enough to last a very long time.
  • The safety orange is very visible.
  • The bottom compartment is perfect for the storage of the chemical fire media that comes with the tool. There is even room for a few waterproof matches.
  • The chemical fire starting media that comes with the tool is a nice touch.
  • The lariat ensures that you will not loose the striker/cap.

Cons:

  • The lariat could stand to be 2" - 3" longer. The short lariat makes striking with the cap a little awkward. I found undoing the lariat from the top loop of the tool and only attaching it to the base loop to alleviate most of the awkwardness. However, I plan to remove the lariat that comes with it all together and replace it with a length of Paracord that is a little longer to completely alleviate the awkwardness.
  • The tool is heavier and bulkier than expected. However, I don't see that either the bulk or the weight could be alleviated and retain the quality of the product.
  • The compartment in the base is NOT water tight.

Something to note. Pine needles do not ignite well using this tool. I tried for 20 minutes and could not for the life of me get them to go up. Fine very dry grasses work best. Dry grass was quick to ignite every time; typically 3 -5 strikes. This is also true of the fibrous material found at the base of a Palm Tree Leaf's Stalk (I am sure there is a name for this stuff, but I could not find it).

Remember to keep twigs and firewood ready to throw on as soon as you get the fire started.

I did not get a chance to play with the chemical fire media so I can not say much about it other than it comes in the base compartment in a well sealed water tight package. I bought this product for emergencies. Its obviously a lot easier to start fires with a regular lighter, but if you lose yours or it gets wet, you could be up a creek. This flint will work even when wet and the "wetfire" cube stored in the base will burn WHILE SITTING IN WATER! So you should definitely be able to start a (possibly lifesaving) fire under adverse conditions. The StrikeForce is an all weather fire starting system in one compact durable package.

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Ultimate Survival Wet Fire Tinder:http:///index.php?id=B00266IW24 SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea:http:///index.php?id=0060578793 Ultimate Survival Technologies BlastMatch Fire Starter:http:///index.php?id=B001HZYAL2 The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants:http:///index.php?id=0976626608 SAS Survival Guide Handbook (Collins Gem):http:///index.php?id=0060849827

Reply to
Arndt