Upcoming Airshow

I believe that this upcoming weekend, there is an airshow in Louisville, KY, "Thunder Over Louisville", as part of the opening of the Kentucky Derby Festival. In the past, the air event has had a lot of WWII aircraft present. It sounds pretty exciting...though it seems that some may disagree...lol:

From today's Wall Street Journal "Best of the Web":

Cower to the People! (

This weekend begins Thunder Over Louisville, the formal opening of the Kentucky Derby Festival, which includes a military air show and a fireworks display. The air show is upsetting some lily-livered Louisvillians, according to the Courier-Journal:

A coalition of Louisville-area peace and religious groups is planning a "Silence Over Thunder" protest Saturday, objecting to the use of military aircraft in the Thunder Over Louisville air show.

"It's offensive and even scary to some parts of our population," said Chris Harmer, a member of the Louisville Friends Meeting, which is one of the organizing groups.

If they're really so scared, shouldn't they protest by hiding under their beds?

Greg Heilers

NIMBYS! :) perhaps you could lend them a few ear defenders, greg. :))

t.

Reply to
87015

Back when I lived in a small town southwest of Lancaster's airport we had an ANG outfit from Harrisburg come down frequently and shoot landing approaches. The old guy across the street was sure they were picking on him and frequently called the airport to complain. Of course, I was outside taking pictures. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Surely 'jet noise is the sound of freedom'?

Gary Warwick

I never realized that Soviet jets were so quiet. Nor that Larry Ellison's very early morning pregrinations in his Gulfstream over San Jose somehow contributed to homeland security.

Maybe we ought to just round up all the very noisiest obsolete jet-engined aircraft we can find and fly them back and forth over Iraq at 3000 feet until freedom breaks out. If that works, we can try it on Tom De Lay's office.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Reply to
Gary Warwick

It was trite then and it's trite now. Freedom has nothing to do with how much noise you make, and everything to do with what you stand for.

As far as people moving to the nuisance, that's their problem, and I cut them no sympathy if they can't figure out where the runways are before they move. Anyway, they can go after the realtor for failure to disclose (or the previous owners, for that matter), so it's not like they don't have a remedy.

As for the sound of freedom, it's telling the bloke from TSA with the wand who wants you to take off your shoes to shove his wand up his insides to see if he can detect his own fillings, and then boarding your flight without further hassle. It's not a sound you hear in airports these days.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Alas, it would probably get you a lot of special attention, but I like the sentiment.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller