Using Fuller's Earth For Matte Finish

I'm trying to acheive a super dull, bone dry finish to some models I've assembled and painted, specifically GeoMetric's King Kong and CinéArt's Frankenstein bust. They've been painted now for about two years, and I used Krylon's matte finish sealer, but I'm not as happy with it as I was hoping. Has anyone ever used fuller's earth, or any other similar powder? I had used talcum on another model, Billiken's Joker. But that was during the painting process, not after. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Beanie Boy

Curious about how you intend to apply it? And how do you plan on making it stick?

It does have a very dull texture as long as it's kept dry. However, I would guess that if it gets wet that the texture may change, maybe not. Either way, once it dries it becomes like dust that can be removed just by touching it.

I would be interested to know how your experiment works out.

Good luck, F Marion

Reply to
Francis Marion

It is hard to get a really matt finish with a rattle can, easier with an airbrush.

For rattle cans, I'd suggest Testors Dullcoat- nice fine nozzle, less spray than Krylon cans. Clean nozzle THOROUGLY after use, to keep it in good shape.

Secret is to apply very dry, but try to avoid orange peel and roughness, so it takes just the right dryness. Try backing off a bit further, and use a series of very short bursts, rather than holding nozzle down.

With an airbrush, I use a higher pressure (20 psi) for matt than I do for gloss (15 psi). Aga>

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The dullest finish you can possibly get is by using Floquil Dust. I use Testors Dullcoat but find it is not totally flat (it is great for leveling other paints and sealing and filling in the edges of waterslide decals, though.)

Dust applied by an airbrush kills all sheen but if done properly is transparent and changes little of the colors and hues used to paint the model.

One tip -- before applying it, heat the bottle in hot water for 5-10 minutes first and shake WELL.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

I get a dead flat finish with Polly Scale clear flat thinned 40-50% with

45% is>
Reply to
Ron