Weird Model Subjects

wrote:

I've always wanted a decent BV 141 kit - have you noticed that the gunner in the Airfix version would have to be Douglas Bader?
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

the hpm is the best kit of it i've seen. grab one if you see it for less than it would take to raise by selling the farm.
rfranklin wrote:

Well now ya done it. I didn't even know there was such a robot, and its 1/12 is close enough to the 1/11ish Lost in Space and Robby the Robot. Now to avoid looking to buy one until I forget about it.
Hmm... looking about on the net, I see MPC is going to bring back the Strange Change Time Machine. That was an odd one my brother built. The rubber band mechanism for changing the interior when the door was opened (from the inventor in his library to the inventor being pecked at by pterodactyls) even worked for a few days...
--
-Jack

who's bv141 and what scale? i really like that odd duck. i am far away from an engineer but i can understand basic flight dynamics and the designers got it right on the fundamentals. and screwed it up on the b model. i'm trying to get one of every kit by maker. so i'm curious to see if there are any i don't know or have, so any info......you know the drill. are you going to build yours? i wou'd be grateful if you share your observatins when you do. i've built the airfix twice, once in their box, another in some no name's repop. it's 1/72 and requires much alteration and scratching to make it a 5 foot model. i haven't built the 1/48 hpm yet. my skill level is not there yet. that kit needs a fair bit of bashing for the interior. i read one man's record of his build and his was great but took much detailing. i'm slowly getting the skills and parts. radios stuff is the hardest part. the canopy and wings need much help. the kit itself is kind of rare and is getting pricey. one of the great guys here sold me his for a price that 5 years down looks good. i am still sifting through the mountain of parts that the sadly missed al s sent me.
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 01:21:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote:

Have the !/48 HiPM and I -thought- I had the old Airfix somewhere but it seems to have gone MIA. Built the Airfix as a kid and it turned out great for my skill level at the time. It's long gone but I thought I'd got another..... The HiPM looks a bit brutal. I teally don't like it when they do the "clear everything" cockpit surround but with the BV 141 what else are you gonna do... Not worried about accurizing the thing. If I get to it before I croak am just going to build it OOB.
You also might be interested in the Revell AG BV P 194. Same design layout as the 141 as a single seat ground attack unit. Has an auxilliary small jet engine under the cockpit pod. Luft 46 stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote in wrote:

The Bv-141 gives me a headache just looking at it. Aerodynamic it may be but awkward looking.
Frank
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:02:16 -0500, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

Awkward is very kind way of putting it. I always wondered how much they had to threaten the test pilot with to get him to take it up the first time.... "I'm supposed to fly..That. Go ahead and shoot me, I'm going to die anyway."
On Nov 3, 3:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote:

Reminds me of the report from the first pilot to test a Blackburn Botha, which contained a remark someting like "It is difficult to gain entry to the cockpit of this aircraft, it should be made completely inaccessible as soon as possible..."
Cheers,
Moramarth
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:19:19 -0500, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

Reminds me in a left hand sort of way of a German WW I design. Can't remember if it was a biplane or a triplane. (WW I fans will probably know.) At any rate, the original design didn't have any bracing wires or struts between the wings. Didn't need them as they were all internally braced. Pilots wouldn't fly it untill they added non-functional braces between the wings. It was a decent aircraft if I remember correctly..
On Nov 4, 11:32am, snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote:

You are talking about the Fokker Dr.I. The only struts that it originally had were the cabines in the center.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:27:17 -0700 (PDT), The Old Man

Thats the one. Thanks.
grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

really? i find it an interesting challenge. i would love to wind one up.
The weirdest things I've probably built would be Huma's Triebflgel and Glencoe's re-pop of the ITC McDonnell XV-1 VTOL. Both have been sold.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Some of the I think AMT kits in the 60s, Ed Roth type stuff, one was a bathtub on wheels with an engine. There were a lot of them back when, some of the interesting ones on the Internet weren't models. Probably impossible to engineer parts to build them.
Hawk had a parachutist. Built that a few times.
Some nice stuff back then though. Even if not perfectly in scale or whatever it is now. You could count the paint colors on almost one hand. No airbrushes.
Japanese had weird stuff. Kits for 3c or so. at the exchange rate. had a razor blade, tinfoil tube of cement, piece of something for sanding - was heart shaped about the size of a dime, fit into a box about the size of 2 boxes of matches. Fuselage was one piece, wing, slot for stab, canopy was clear lump, gear. I seem to recall decals. literally finished fit in the palm of your hand. 10 seconds to build, painting was fun. Weren't too bad.
They came out with a lot of 50y kits, dozen pieces, one year was all Japanese ghosts. TV characters, about 20c give or take.
They had castles. Some are still on sale at Squadron. Some famous temples. One was gold plated. Think the railroad buildings for say HO. Kits that are $9 or so were $.35 back then. Same kits.
Something happened in the news? A kit came out in a month or so. Once there was a set of all the deep diving submersibles. Wonder what happened to all those molds. All the Thunderbirds from the TV series. I think the most was $1.50.
Later, by early 70s, EVERY Japanese model store had a IJN Yamato in the window, built. Exquisitely. Like what we see at an IPMS show as far as quality. One secret was they used calligraphy brushes. Ah so.....talk about pointed tips...
I didn't realize how lucky I had it back then.

I remember seeing those. I had the Trieste (in about 1:100), an Alvin in about 1:48 and a Kaiten manned suicide torpedo in about 1:72. The artwork on the side of the box listed all of the submersibles used by Jacques Cousteau, but I never came across those. Mine were all boxed by Paramount and purchased in Montreal, Que.