What IS it with cyano-acrylate glues? Grrrrrr

super glue will set in the presence of any polar solvent. The most common polar solvent is water and it reacts rather slowly with super glue. If you mix superglue and acrylic paint (it has propanol as the polar solvent) and it will set very quickly. Toluenimide (the accelerator stuff) is the stuff that sets it off the quickest and probably does so because one half of this molecule is polar and the other is non polar.

Tim Brimelow

Reply to
tim brimelow
Digital_Cowboy

I've found storing cya in the fridge is great ... that is untill you open it once opened I've found it better not to continues chilling it between sessions .

cya hardens from moisture in the surrounding air..chilling and warming causes condensation(much like a cold wet beer can on a warm day).. obviously promoting moisture insided the bottle will eventualy ruin it

I had a bottle of thin become thick after constant refridgeration between use. so I'm convinced a cool(not cold)and dry location is best

Reply to
spiff

I just buy the smallest container available. Half of it just goes to waste anyway. :( Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

FSM or SAE? No matter really, they're both 'that bad', in my opinion. Any fool can add resin and etch to a kit and call it modelling (and I'm in that category), but I'm sick of it being presented as modelling.in magazines that can cost upwards of $10-$12 Aussie by the time they arrive here. The only reason I still get SA is because of the occaisional feature article by Juha Airio, Augie Hiscano or their ilk - gives me something to aim for!

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

I've found storing cya in the fridge is great ... that is untill you open it once opened I've found it better not to continue chilling it between sessions .do not use it directly out of the fridge !

as mentioned ,cya hardens from moisture in the surrounding air..chilling and warming causes condensation(much like a cold wet beer can on a warm day).. obviously promoting moisture insided the bottle will eventualy ruin it

I had a bottle of thin become thick and very weak after constant refridgeration between use. so I'm convinced a cool(not cold)and dry location is best I typically use Flash cya's

Reply to
spiff

i quit buying the thick. i buy the 8 packs for a buck at the dollar store, leave it in an old zap container and in 2 weeks i have thick stuff that works perfectly.

Yeow, I think the last Airio article I recall was the '67 Dodge conversion and that was quite some time ago. That one must have been the master for All American Models' resin kit. It sure looked the same. The paint colour articles have been interesting but since I'm not into wild colours all that much their usefulness is limited.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller