What is it? LV - new

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

308: Decorative hanger.

309: Doorstop

311: Tool for removing a flange without crushing pipe?

312: There's no mystery; the C.G. of each piece (plus that of those above it) is above a solid part of the structure below.

313: Coping saw

314: Mechanical calculator.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

From Rec.woodworking

#308: ?? #309: Automotive body dolly #310: Pencil sharpener #311: Special hole punch, maybe for button snaps? #312: The weights of the lower pieces keep them in place. The top piece only has to be supported by the piece below it. #313: Spark plug file? #314: Dunno.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

308. Gauge add-ons that clamp onto a framing square for laying out stair stringers and similar. 309. Body dolly used with a hammer for shaping sheet metal, particularly on cars. 310. Perspective is screwy, possibly a cutter for making tapered wooden pegs or for sizing a dowel. 311. Torture device and/or drilling guide of some sort.

312. As noted previously, the C.G. of each piece is over the piece below.

313. Looks like a small hacksaw, perhaps specialized for cutting a particular type of material. The blade appears too wide for it to be a coping saw.

314. Not sure, looks expensive.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.
308 Stair Guides 309 Dolly - Metalworking 310 Pencil Sharpener 311 Leather Punch? 312 Its laying on its side 313 Bone Saw? 314 Mechanical Calculator

Dave

Teamcasa

308 Clamp on stops. 309 Draftsman spline weight (duck, whale, knot) 310 Inside view of a pencil sharpener 311 Gasket punch 312 One could overhang any amount, given enough blocks (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5... is infinite) 313 Perhaps a saw, file, or gapping tool, but have no guess for its exact purpose. 314 Curta mechanical calculator. See:

Carl G.
308- I'm not sure, but I have a couple of them around here myself 309- looks like a cobbler's heel last 310- pencil sharpener 311- looks like something to cut holes in and mark leather for grommets

Rhiannon

Reply to
powerbus

#314 is a curta pocket calculator. Designed by a guy while he was in a Nazi concentration camp. the ny times magazine did an article on them about a year ago. Pretty awesome stuff.

-Just> Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all

Reply to
Justin

Here goes nothin',

308. Don't know official name, but they are placed on a framing square to layout stair treads.

309. A dolly for metal working. It resembles my heel dolly, but with more rounded corners.

310. Don't know what this one is, looks like the material is brass, no size given.

311. Looks like a leather (or gasket) punch with extra "spikes", possibly for a fastener, maybe a snap?

312. The way the pieces are aligned makes it hard to tell the size of the pieces, that is probably intentional. My only guess is that the pieces get smaller as they go up.

313. Miniature hacksaw, very handy.

314. Haven't a clue, although based on recent posts I might hazard a guess that it is photographic in nature.

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

311 is a grommet punch for sewn grommets in canvas (?).

307 is an adjustable trammel point.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Reply to
Dave Jackson

From RCM

311 is a punch for installing the eyelet portion of a turnbutton canvas fastener. The round part punches the hole and the flat chisels punch slots for the clincher plate prongs.
Reply to
Andy Asberry

308. Stops for use on a framing square to cut rafters. Well polished. 309. Dolly for body or sheetmetal work. 310. Inside view of a hand pencil sharpener 311. Hole punch 312. Anti-gravity 313. Fret saw 314. This one's pretty easy to cheat on, so I'll pass.
Reply to
Gary Brady
308. Square stops for a framing square

309. Metal dolly used to back a hammer for auto bodywork

310. Pencil sharpener

311. Grommet punch

312. The center of mass is still centered

313. Curta rotary Calculator

Reply to
Lone Biker Of The Apocalypse

314: Curta Calculator. Made in Lichenstein. This is the smaller of the two sizes which were popular with "Time Speed Distance" sports car rallyists (like SWMBO and me) in the pre-electronic calculator days. I still have mine in the closet. It has a hole in the bottom plate because I built an motor driven cranker for it so that each time a speedometer cable driven microswitch clicked off a hundreth of a mile the Curta got cranked one turn and added in a preset minutes/mph factor to a running total. Varying the car's speed to keep that total matched to a stopwatch kept us right where we should be in time. 312: the mathemetician's answer would be that it represents the infinite series 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
308. Is near to my heart.

I put a copy of the ad I just purchased on eBay at

The two-piece set of gauges was a device marketed by my great grandfather. When his son Robert passed, my brother and I collected several bits from the estate. I purchased all of the bits for these gauges at the estate auction, the firmly entrenched bidder finally gave when he saw the look of determination in my eyes.

I captured several of the patent documents, some of which my son Patrick has set for display. Many of the flyers, some of the tooling he used to manufacture these, and several sets, of several varieties of the gauges.

They clamp on the framing square, what you can't see in the ad, is the gauges are tapered just so, so that where they are set is quite nicely set to the edge of the board. The longer gauge - with an attached tongue was the unique feature. It was a simple scale with numbered marks. If you want a 5-sided figure, you set the mark to "5", and the angle was set. If you wanted an 8-sided figure, you set the mark to "8", etc.

My great grandfather John Parkhill built homes in Rochester. Grand victorian homes with spires, and a variety of architectural features. Dormers, ... I can't name them all.

Years ago in "the wreck" I sent out a couple of copies. I've since disposed of 90% of the units. It was a sad moment, but it was clear that

800lbs of memories wouldn't do anything but sit & rust.

I still use them. They were functional 100 years ago, and today. I even have a couple of the framing squares my great grandfather used. One I passed down to my eldest son. One I hope stays with the family for another century.

R.H. said the following on 3/30/2005 3:23 PM:

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

310 appears to be the operative bit of a pencil sharpener.
Reply to
Barbara Bailey

I think 311 is a hollow punch for cutting washers from leather- the teeth would give reference marks for the larger punch so that the hole was centered in the washer.

John

Reply to
JohnM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:23:58 GMT, "R.H." scribbled:

From rec.woodworking

#308 Square gauges - used to put a setting on a carpenter's square (e.g. when laying out stair stringers). Lee Valley has something similar:

The ones I own are like the ones in the picture (octagonal)

#309 dolly for bodywork?

#311 leather washer punch?

#312 principle of the corbelled arch. Gravity & mass.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith