Anyone familiar wirh Proxxon PD400 Lathe?

The Proxxon PD400 is a 6.69" X 15.7" lathe built in Germany. Link:

I am told it is a redesign and significant upgrade of an older Sakai/Toyo lathe. It uses metal change gears and now has metal dials unlike the earlier Sakai model.

It would appear to be a high quality alternative to the Chinese 7 X

14's. It offers a lead screw and power feed and thread cutting unlike the Taig,and has a cast iron bed for greter rigidity (weighs 100lbs).

It is unclear to me whether the carriage can be disengaged from the lead screw via a split nut arrangemenent for repositioning durring thread cutting. I have heard it also has rack and pinion positioning of the carriage and I am not sure how this works in conjunction with the lead screw.

Does anyone have any experience with this lathe? How does it rate compared to a Prazi SD300? What other high quality alternatives in this size range would you recommend?

Best regards -- Roy Norris

Reply to
rnorris

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I have no idea about that specific product, but generally Proxxon are considered in the Dremel ( or better than ) league here in Denmark..

I doubt it'd be a bad product, but you could possibly find something similar at a lower cost somewhere else..

/peter