Wow! New method for reproing parts!

These have been around for a while...I went to a seminar on how to use one of these a few years ago -

Yes, they are impressive. Neatest thing is that they'll print any standard CAD generated 3D .obj file to real world. So, if you're a figure modeler something like Poser, Vue, Bryce, etc. and one of these would net you a complete pattern making factory for resin casting. I'd LOVE to have one...

This one is cheap by comparision - $5K vs $20-30K for the Dimension setup I got to run. Thier materials cost seem higher, though...and the actual method of printing seems a bit different.

Reply to
Rufus

Yep, we had a nice thread going about this just a year or two back. Getting closer all the time.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Ahh... another "Santa Claus Machine"!

There is a company that uses similar technology to make N scale (1:160) vehicles and other objects. But I don't recall their URL.

Their finished product is a bit rough. It looks "pixalated". And it is bit tough to try to smooth out such small objects. I did look into them but the quality wasn't up to what I would call acceptable.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Hmmm. I know there are services that will do laser cutting of thin wood. I suppose one could stack many fine laminations of laser cut wood and make a 3D object that way that could then be sanded and filled. I have heard that the service is not prohibitively expensive. Anyone ever tried one of these services?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

The one I demo-d produced very quick roughs too, but the company also had examples of output on hand that were polished, chrome plated, and mirror smooth, so it can be done...if someone knows how.

I'd also expect that there would be varying qualtiy levels for output and the finer you go the longer it takes.

Reply to
Rufus

A few months ago, I saw one advertised on TV, by Craftsman (Sears) of all people.

They were being shown in exhibitions when there was a 3D graphics package called 3D Studio Release 4 for DOS!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks