Ya know...

...when you walk away from your bench for some long period...like a near a year...you're bound to find some good stuff and some frustrating stuff when you get back to it...

...good stuff - two unopened, fresh tubes of Tamiya putty stashed in my "good stuff" box! Now that's GOOD stuff...

...frustrating stuff - my benchtop bottle of Testors liquid cement had evaporated, and it took me ten minutes to figure out I had another bottle sitting elsewhere.

Took a similar amount of time to relocate my micro surgical scalpel...but at least I'm back in there!

Reply to
Rufus

The only time I stopped making this year was when I decided to add more shelving and cabinets to the workshop (aka my garage). The car was forced out four years ago when my son moved back home and with all my building, I barely have room for my lawn mower. But at least in warmer weather (definately NOT today), the door gets opened and I have fresh air and daylight to build in. And a bunch of neighborhood delinquents to give me the hairy eyeball while I'm working. I told my wife we should move, but noooooo. 8-P

Reply to
The Old Man

Yeah, just had a similar experience. Got glue now, am going to get some CA today and keep at it.

Reply to
AM

I took a long break this year after a disastrous struggle with Trumpeter's 1/32 F4F, which found its way into the trash (first kit I ever threw away). Upon reflection, I think my copy of that kit was the original screwed up one. But in any event, I quit last May until just a few weeks ago. Worked on the house, laying laminate floor and painting the entire inside.

Now I'm building Hasegawa's old F6F kit with a Verlinden cockpit set and am quite content.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

You must be easy to please if you are not complaining about the Verlinden set already !

Reply to
AM

My think CA has gotten a bit thicker, but is still ok for what I need to do at present. Look like I may actually get the hull on my U-boat closed in short order. I need to improvise a couple supports for the center section of the pressure hull before I can join the halves.

...and once I put the deck on, all that nice looking work I did on the resin pressure hull kit will vanish to humanity forever...grrrr...unless you look REAL close...with a flashlight...and a magnifier...

Reply to
Rufus

I have two of the big Trumpeter F4Fs - one that I plan to convert into an FM-2...I may start that one first. I've got the resin engine and everything else I need to get started; what I really don't like is the shape of the windscreen, though. It looks too vertical and box-ish. I haven't figured out how I'll fix that yet - I have a Revell kit I may raid for it, if it sits right.

Reply to
Rufus

I'm just grateful I'm enjoying a kit again. I've actually had little trouble with the Verlinden set. The instructions are lousy, and the engineering could be better, but the major parts seem to drop into the fuselage just fine. At this point, that's all I want. Don't know about accuracy, but again I don't care. I just want a nice, pleasant build. I just couldn't live the the Hasegawa cockpit, that's all.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

share some pics when you're done?

Reply to
someone

Sure thing - I'm just setting up to take a few. I got the upper pressure hull hit installed last night, now I'm letting some paint dry and I'll shoot a couple snaps of the interior, then the clamp-up, then the finished close. I'll let ya'll know when I post to ABMS!

Reply to
Rufus

danke, kind sir. i know it will be good. i9'm still knocked out by your pby. and glad you didn't do one of the cliche color schemes. enough with the night fighters.....i hope you influence others. besdies me, i mean. have fun but be carefull tomorrow night! i went to vegas this morning and the cops were like flies on a cow pie. especially on our side of the border. but they can't snare every potential killer driver. besides, wh else would chuckle at my hot rod sr?

Reply to
someone

Sure will. I'm taking my time and enjoying this one so it might a bit, but I'll get them out somewhere and let you know.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

thanks and have a great, safe ny's!