7.5meg file, 30 minute install,... Priceless!!

Mark,

I was just reading the SW Discussion Forum groups...

"Customer Experience" ... interesting post by Stefan this morning..

And, "Installation and Admin/Problems"...

Looks like they are going to shove WI down our throats, because that is what is best for us and our future!? hmm... let's put resources/time/money into the M$ installation process (get rid of the traditional installer because the clients did not want it???) which is best for our clients because we know what is best for our clients??... then, lets post a survey later to ask them what they think about it (btw, that is not a survey but a introduction to what the user WILL be using)... write a few pages on a new installation process and mention it's benefits and why it sucks,.. then tell the users this is the way it will be for the future??

Oh, of course, next release promises.. They will make it better, faster,.. more reliable... but right now... well, it sucks. Basically, deal with it, because we know what is best for you.

Making sense out of this,.. does not make sense other than, we do not know what is best for us,.. we need to pay for subscription to have them work out the problems and beta test the next release to see if they have fixed the problems...

Could we have just paid SW Corp to waste over 250K users time!??

Yeah, it's all clear to me know... bending over... thank you sir, may I have another!?

..

Mark M wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I am going to be controversial here cause I used WI for 2003 and didn't have problems with it. Also now that I have sorted out my command prompt workaround problem -thanks to my VAR -I went from 1.0-2.1 in about 2 mins. it does take up space though- another 200mb. I think you are going a bit over board but then I only have one pc to look after. ...duck for cover.... : )

Reply to
neil

I find it interesting that no one has brought up the Linux port problem. If WI is so ingrained into SolidWorks, the chances of porting to Linux would seem even farther away.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson

Hmm... a 77 meg WI in 2 mins!? Are you missing a "0"?

I also used WI for SW2003 and it took a long time to install as well, at least 20 mins but the real headache was the uninstall, it took about 40 minutes for the uninstall. I then reinstalled with the TI and it took less than 10 minutes.

So, what was this workaround for the command prompt about??

..

neil wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Actually, I mentioned it in the survey thread yesterday, "Windows Server support".

I do not have a linux server but if M$ is pushing WI as a only install option, I would think it means more dependency on M$ products like Windows Server?

I hate the conspiracy stuff but things like WI do start point at M$ in creating limitations for future operating choices.

BTW, with M$ showing signs that they will not deliver a complete 64 bit OS soon, the Linux market has a very very good opportunity in the next few years!!

..

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

i had thought about that. just hadn't mentioned it. Yet. :)

FWIW, the SW download site runs Apache on Solaris 8.

What's the matter SW? IIS servers couldn't handle the load?

Gotta resort to using an inferior open-source web server?

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.