[Vonage.com] Rocket commercial

I believe on MSNBC (Imus) I saw a Vonage commercial with model rockets prominent in it.
However they were "misused".
Don't complain. It was funny and obviously staged.
:)
Jerry
The commercial is available online at http://www.vonage.com/commercials.php
-- Bob Cox ----------------------------------------------- Jerry Irvine wrote:

rockets
seen the bat and the tree, but not the rocket till i went to the website.
I wonder if the BATFE will complain :)
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

I'm almost afraid to ask: who is the parent company of Vonage?
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Hope folks out there don't start thinking that this sort of thing happens all the time with our models. Did see a Fatboy on an E9-4 lurch off the pad taking the launch rod with it. It went up 40 or 50 feet, turned 90 degrees and went parallel to the ground. As it made the 90 degree turn, the rod feel off and it continued the flight horizontally and I could see the entire flight. I could appreciate the slight ballistic drop from gravity and the ejection charge blew a great chute out. Took like 3 seconds to land. :)
Kurt Savegnago
Kurt wrote:

How is that even possible? Could someone "seasoned" enough to be flying E-motors; actually be careless enough to launch something that was too tight on the rod, or with a rod that loose/unsecure?
--

Greg Heilers
Greg Heilers wrote:

Not only possible but witnessed by a large number of people. Simply the rod was apparently loose, the modeler didn't notice any binding on the launch lug and the event occured. Tim Lehr of Wildman Rocketry was announcing. I think if the rod hadn't fallen off, it would have crashed. After the direction changed 90 degrees, the rod fell off and the rocket flew normally albeit at 90 degrees. It was a feak occurrence and nothing further happened during the launch. The young lady modeler got the rocket back unharmed and launched it up several more times in a normal fashion.
AKS

Yes.

The only time I've had one hang up was with a Centuri Columbia Shuttle but it was from crud build up. I had been flying over 20 years at the time. We had launched approx. 10 times in about 30 minutes and I was busy helping a 4 year old prep her rocket and allowed myself to be distracted.
The rod was plenty tight but should have been cleaned after a couple of flights. The Shuttle made it to within 6" of the top of the rod before the crud locked it tight. Even though it was only a C6, it took the rocket, rod & small Estes pad, about 15 feet in the air, then fell back down, landed in an upright position, with the rocket still on the rod. We could hear the delay burning and then the ejection fired.
After a moment or two, my son who was 9 at the time, started laughing. All my 4 year old daughter said was " Do it again daddy, do it again! She's almost 20 now and always brings it up when she goes flying with me.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Sorry, almost forgot. The incident coined a family rocket phrase, "Yogi Bear landing."
For those who don't know, there is a Yogi cartoon where he jumps from a helicopter, hits the ground and then the chute pops.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
ha ha ha ha!
I've heard the Yogi phrase mentioned before on here.... Good to finally know where it come from..... .I knew it was from The Yogi Bear cartoons but didn't know what actually took place....

Kurt wrote:

Sci-fi has been running a commercial for a new show 'Master Blasters', or something like that. It shows one model exploding in mid air about 8 ft. above the pad (big fireball too), and another doing low loops over the ground.
--
John Bowles
NAR# 84674

I believe the show's premise is to show crazy stuff exploding and such.
Several prominent rocketeers will be on one or more episodes.
Brian Elfert
There's a music video playing on MTV2, "An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery. The basic storyline is a long, highly involved and pretty fun Rube Goldbergian series of devices. One of them is a crash test dummy in a chair on a rail. The chair is propelled along by what looks like two model rockets mounted on the side. It's only a couple of brief shots, but they look like Estes Big Berthas or maybe Quest Big Bettys and model rocket engines (not HPR). I can't recall if the engines were electrically or fuse lit, though. Anyone else caught it?
--

Michael Roy Hollihan
http://www.hollihan.net

I remember seeing that clip on America's Funniest Home Videos several years ago...
Eldred
Eldred Pickett wrote:

Yes, and they won. I know the guy who did it, he's in our Civil Air Patrol squadron. There's actually a lot more to the clip, and he went through and described all the things they had to do to get it 'right' at our last big model rocket weekend.
David Erbas-White

This should be in the FAQ and the rocket history museum. MILLIONS saw it.
On Thu, 05 May 2005 09:17:21 -0700, David Erbas-White

Cool - small world!
Eldred
How about that evil rocket on "24"??
-Fred Shecter http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector