Kid on cover of 57 Mechanix is holding a little cigar to lite the model missle

On the cover the 1957 Mechanix Illustrated,
it looks like the boy is holding a fashionable little cigar, as he lite the
rocket with with an ordinary fuse.
the father smoking a pipe comforts the scared little girl as the rocket launches to the boys delight.
on the inside a boy sits two feet away igniting the fuse with a burning stick.
model missiles can be ignited with an ordinary fuse. it also mentions you can use a jetex fuse and a nichrome wire however to get remote ignition.
of interesting note, the last sentence in the story says.
while model rocketry has always been fun, now it is safe.
so those who had hand rung about those of us that used fuse in the in early days, well so did the forfathers ;-)

In Germany, Estes-style rocket motors are sold with fuse right in the box.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

They do not have a faciest safety code.
BTW, does somebody knows why the NAR safety code has dropped the '1 sec max ignition delay" sentence? I still have that requirement in my rocketry handbook (6th edition). (Altough there is no NAR here, I feel that it is good to follow a safety code) I always worried because I use the german motors and I convert the fuse into an electrical igniter by wrapping a little wire around it. But this lead to a 2-3 sec ignition delay. Now with the new NAR code it seems to be acceptable.

writes:

Probably due to typical poor battery delays in commercial launch systems.
If I wrote the rules (say, tat soulds kile a good title for an article or editorial) I wouldn't be worried about how long I had to hold the button down for ignition, but how long after I let go of the button before ignition is IMPOSSIBLE. With a Solar ignitor in a BP motor, it's pretty darn short. With thermalite, it can be a second or two. With a composite motor, I've seent hem chuff for several seconds before deciding to either stop or ignite. THOSE are the scary ones.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.

Isn't that one of the main complaints about Ellis Mountain motors generally?
That and reliability of course.
Jerry

I thought that was the main complaint about USR motors :-)
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.

Nope.
writes:

max
into
ignition
Indeed. I even saw one of my rockets jump half way on the launch rod then fall down before, two seconds later, taking off (F20). I though also that the delay between pushing and ignition should be kept short to avoid that "something wrong could happens", like a wind gust or a child or an animal running to the pad...

... or an aircraft suddenly showing up.
Bingo! Once I decide to *ABORT*, the last thing I want to happen is for the rocket to take off any way. Long pyrotechnic fuses are a culprit. Chuffing is the worst culprit. Especially when the rocket chuffs its way off the pad.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.

Any such rule is stupid simply because the probability of having a "delay ignition" and any "hazard" is incredibly low, and the chances of it causing even a remote life, health, or property hazard is lower still.
Fuse is not only not inherently bad, it is the way 99% of pyrotechnics on this planet are initiated.
Electric ignition is about PERCEPTION. Central to NAR MR perception perhaps, but mere perception none the less.

Oh, and then one assumes the rule will keep a motor from taking longer than X seconds to ignite?
:)

hey art: you wouldn't happen to have the Feb 1957 issue of Mechanix Illustrated would you?
yep even Orville Carlisle and G.Harry initially started their rock a chutes with fuse, but they decided it was too much like fireworks, and they invented electrical ignition in its place...
shockie B)