Class 57

Does anybody know of a company that makes a class 57/3 Virgin Thunderbird or parts to convert an existing Hornby/Lima 47? I don't have any experience in painting etc, so a new complete shell for my current chassis would be preferable!

TIA!

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim H

"Jim H" wrote

Nothing yet, but don't be surprised if Heljan tackle these loco's eventually.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'll show my ignorance now and ask why are they called Thunderbirds?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Thunderbird or

They're called Thunderbirds because they 'rescue' broken down Voyagers and Pendolinos. They will also be used to pull Pendolinos on the non-electrified route to Holyhead and other non-electrified track if the WCML is closed for some reason. The trains are actually refurbished class 47's.

Jim

Reply to
Jim H

There's a Class 57/6 conversion kit (DP57-06) available from Mr Shaw, I don't think there's a huge amount of detail differences between

57601 and the 57/3s (before the 3's got the ugly coupler mod).

I reckon that kit will give you the bulk of the parts to get the shape of a 57/3, like new lights and exhaust ports; unless of course anyone knows otherwise!

I would upload some pictures for comparison if my FTP software wasn't being awkward... should think there's plenty on the 'Net anyway.

Reply to
Ben

"Jim H" wrote

non-electrified

They're rather more than refurbished class 47s. They have been re-engined with General Motors units and fitted with Brush alternators in place of the more traditional generators. The GM units are of course 2-stroke technology wherea the class 47s are 4-stroke.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They will also be used to pull Pendolinos on the non-electrified route to Holyhead and other non-electrified track if the WCML is closed for some reason.

Due to problems of pollution fumes from the loco' exhaust entering the air-conditioning of the Pendolino formation.....the Pendolino units may not now be used.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Cheers Ben, I think I'll take a look at their stand when they are at the Warley exhibition next month...

Jim

Reply to
Jim H

One idea that's being looked into is having the 57s push the Pendolinos, while being controlled from the EMU's leading cab.

--

***
*** Updated 03 November, now 620 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

The main difference twixt the 57/3 (Virgin) and 57601 is the large silver radaitor bank at no.1 end, fitted to the Virgin examples.

There are now more 57/6's (57602/03, etc.) being delivered for First Great Western, in green livery - these are identical to the 57/3s.

There are some nice pictures of 57602 on the excellent "End of the Line" website at:

Adam Warr

This must be a bit of a bugger for Virgin! So how do the Voyager units avoid sucking in their own exhaust fumes? Couldn't this be applied to Pendolino's being pulled by 57's?

Also, does anybody know when the Pendolino/57 services will start along the North Wales route? From Sept 2004?

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim H

"Jim H" wrote

Pendolino's

Couldn't have anything to do with *where* on the various traction units the exhaust is vented could it?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jim H" wrote Also, does anybody know when the Pendolino/57 services will start along the

Jim, Think it is to do with when the Timetables change over of the timetable. Perhaps the May change is too early??

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

Good old 57's with their 2-stroke exhausts.....

Alan

Pendolino's

Reply to
arse

I just noticed that my name has appeared as "arse" hmm

Alan

Reply to
Gyle TMD