Disaster Strikes - Langley Signal Box question

Disaster struck last night!

About 8pm, I received some surprise visitors. My cousin, her husband and their angelic child had decided to come and visit me,unannounced, all the way from London (I live in Norfolk). I live in a 2 up, 2 down. I have one bed - the other "bedroom" is a railway room. Needless to say, they expected to be put up for the night (where?). The child (6 years old) was also tired and fractious- hardly surprising. The only way that they had managed to keep him quiet was to promise that he could "play with Uncle Enzo's train set".

I pointed out that it wasn't a "train set" but a model railway. However I eventually agreed that the little darling could watch it in operation. Anything to stop the snivelling - and that was just the parents!

First question: "Where's Thomas?" I explained that the model represents the London Midland region in 1956 (or with a few minor changes, the LMS in 1936) and that Thomas lives on the Isle of Sodor, not my railway.

Not good enough. "Want Thomas!" stated the cherub loudly, bottom lip a-tremble. "Where's Thomas?" With a sinking feeling in my stomach I realised that very shortly I would be staring down the barrel of a hissy fit - a situation with which I was ill equipped to deal. I looked around for moral support to find that cousin-and-hubby had left me alone with the adorable angel and were downstairs opening a bottle of wine (*My* wine, I must point out) without an invitation!

In desperation I pointed out the train that was running. The apple of my eye. A Caprotti Black 5, ugly as sin, weathered to perfection, hauling a fitted freight, each van subtly different, weathered and close coupled. It took my breath away just to see it.

The child was not impressed and instantly morphed into the Spoiled Brat Demon from the Seventh Level of Hell. Without warning, he screamed at the top of his lungs and swatted the Black 5, which was knocked off the track, severed footsteps flying around like shrapnel. Somehow in the melee the buffers and coupling from the van on the engine also came adrift. I looked on aghast, but the SBD from the SLH was only just getting into his stride. The next strike was the signal box. He plucked it from the layout and hurled it at the wall! OK, so it was only a Dapol/Airfix box and not particularly accurate for the LMS/LM region, but it had been lovingly detailed inside and out. I liked it. Alas, before my very eyes it shuffled off the mortal coil, rang down the curtains and went to join the choir invisbule. It is now an ex-Signal box.

So, I grabbed the brat, who was now kicking and screaming, and dragged it downstairs to present it to its parents. They were very angry - understandably so I thought, considering the behaviour of their foul progeny. Incredibly, they were angry with *me* for manhandling their abhorrent offspring. I hadn't realised that parents of a vile brat misbehaving quite dreadfully in someone else's home could ever get quite so territorial. So, I considered my options - apology, reconciliation or stern-but-fair rebuke. After a moment's thought I rejected them all and settled for losing my temper. I asked them to leave(in no uncertain terms, which were a melange of ****, **** and **** with a judicious smattering of

******* for good measure) In the end I virtually threw them out into the street and withdrew upstairs to assess the damage.

The engine and van are repairable (in fact, they are now well on the road to recovery). Sadly, the signal box is a right-off.

So, to my point ("At last!" I hear you sigh!)

I think that the box needs to be replaced with something a little more representative of the LMS. I've looked at the Langley kit, but it seems to be somewhat larger than the old Airfix box. Can someone please tell me the dimensions of the kit? Alternatively, could someone recommend a suitable signal box?

And where can I get Prozac from on a Sunday morning? I still haven't calmed down......!

-- Livid Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Ye gods what a predicament how will you get them to pay for the damage

..........................Leslie

particularly

Reply to
Therefore

Therefore

Payment for damage? Surely you jest! :-)

My cousin is a large, loud, self-opinionated sort who is never wrong. Men, on the other hand, are *always* wrong. Compensation is never going to happen. I'll consider their never darkening my door again to be adequate recompense!

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix"

What a tough break Enzo.

Was the little darling's name Dudley?

His parents, Vernon and Petunia?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Roger T

LOL! There *is* a certain Dursleyesque aura surrounding them. The problem is that now you have implanted the idea in my subconscious, you just *know* that I'm going to get myself into trouble by calling them "the Dursleys" at family gatherings......

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Unbelievable!!! Sadly there are more and more parents that allow their children to do what the hell they want..

I normally take some stock to a "model railway running day" (basically a layout with no scenery and 6 loops of settrack) In past years i've had to watch their every move as some of my stock gets grabbed from a siding (still coupled) and shoved onto the main track to be pulled at 250Mph by a Smokey Joe.....(at which point I treat the model like an unexploded bomb and ask them to very very gently put it down...with sweat running down my face)

Luckily this year the same brats did'nt appear, but as a procaution and my stock was kept safely in its box! And believe it or not I was the only one to crash my stock! (I turned on a Lima 20 on what I thought was slow and turned my back - it had tore off like a rocket and flew off a corner derailing my new Super Voyager - OUCH!! (no damage thankfully, the 20 seems to have no speed control, its either on or off - i'd better get that DCC chip fitted or buy a new Bachmann one ;)

Alan

particularly

Reply to
Gyle TMD

Hi Enzo,

I would suggest, in the interests of family unity, not neccessarily that between your cousin and yourself, that you write an "apology" for your loss of good temper, along with a description of the circumstances and a bill for replacements for your models at the new value you place on them including time for your improvements. Keep copies!

Regards, Greg.P.

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Enzo, Maybe you now need a "Hogwarts Express" ! for the line.... Well, the colour would fit with the LMS if the region didn't... And it's a bit more believable than Thomas ! It doesn't have a face !

ANDY :-)

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

"Gyle TMD" wrote i'd better get that DCC

Alan, From Christmas (We hope) You could do both! I will be !

-- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply)

Andrew Sollis CVMRD

Assuming you are happy with a Midland style box then the Ratio one is very nice and can be enlarged or shrunk to taste if you are good at plastic kits. As it comes it reasonable easy to build, accurate and similar in size to the Airfix box.

There are a couple of alternative, smaller Midland boxes, available from Fourtrack models. I forget the make, but they are not up to the Ratio standard.

The Airfix box was styled as a Midland box but way out on dimensions so perhaps you can look on this as a beneficial upgrade, albeit involuntary.

I hope you finished the wine. Cheers Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

For card kit fans, there's the Prototype box kit. It represents an LNWR design, but one which was taken up post-1923 as an LMS standard design for the Western - and possibly Central - Divisions.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

I have pondered this over the last day and having discussed it around - including mothers and only those to whom "modelling" is page 3, you are only on a sticky wicket sympathy wise if you actually thumped the little brat.

I was about to post a suggestion and see that gregory has beaten me to it.

anyway - i actually wouldn't send an actual bill though. Just apologise that you were unable to cope with their son in fractious mode without forcibly ejecting him; explain how much black 5's are and how long it takes to weather and customise with close coupling etc and that the signal box is actually unobtainable now and that it had been interiorised and that his little tantrum had personally cost you about £200 and that you are sure that they would not wish you to be out of pocket over his behaviour.

and use it as a conversation point for every wedding, funeral and christening...........

-- Ken Wilson Hampshire, UK

(PS dunno about the langley signal box)

"Enzo Matrix"

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson

I didn't! I may be daft, but I'm not *that* daft. :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will write a letter, but not to apologise. I don't think that I have anything to apologise for....! Ken's suggestion of £200 is actually quite an accurate figure if I were replacing the Black

  1. I'm not, but they don't know that. I know that I won't get a penny. A few years ago my cousin attended a family wedding and had the brass neck to ask for travelling expenses (I'm not making this up!) so the chance of me getting damages for a "train set" are slightly less than those of the proverbial cat in hell. But, at least it gives me the moral high ground! :-)

Anyway, to more interesting matters.

The line represents an ex-LNWR line, so an LNWR box would be ideal. I'm convinced that the Langley box would be too big. I'm not averse to a Midland style box so I'll definitely check out the Ratio one. (Thanks Keith) I don't have any card structures on my layout, but the Prototype LNW box looks pretty good as a stopgap (Thanks David!)

An interesting alternative was proposed by my girlfriend's daughter. She put in a good word for the Townstreet box. I sense an ulterior motive. Dawn is going to be studying A level art and is a talented artist already. She has no interest whatsoever in running trains, but she is fascinated by the modelling process. I have an underpass on my layout which has brick retaining walls. Dawn persuaded me to let her repaint the retaining walls. They look great. There is water leaking through the brickwork with the attendant moss and lime staining. I'm good at weathering engines and stock, but Dawn is brilliant at painting brickwork! Then, she got her hands on my new Townstreet water tower. My layout is no longer all my own work..... :-)

So, she wants the Townstreet box, but I want a traditional style box. We may have come to a compromise. I think my new box will have a brick lower floor, courtesy of Townstreet and Dawn, with a traditional wooden upper storey, courtesy of Ratio (or maybe scratchbuilt patterned from the Prototype kit) and your's truly.....

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and advice.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

No problem - happy to be of help!

Scratchbuilt LNW box? That brings to mind another suggestion; a drawing of one of the boxes at Warrington Arpley featured in the April

1984 Railway Modeller. It's rather a long structure (but not overly so; certainly not in the same league as Shrewsbury Severn Bridge!), but given the standardised nature of many LNWR buildings, the drawing could be used as the basis of a smaller box.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

"Enzo Matrix" wrote So, she wants the Townstreet box, but I want a traditional style box. We may

Enzo, Simple answer..... Let Dawn have her own layout to build, that you can then take to an exhibition and be proud of !!!

:-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

Andrew Sollis

Wot? And have me take credit for someone else's work? I couldn't do that..... again! :-)