CAD/CAM WARS... The Customer Is The Winner

These videos (link below) clearly show the problem with most parametric solid modelers that have *not* been conceived from their inception as hybrid modelers.

Congratulations to Kubotek for finally going the *direct comparison* route and directly comparing their product to SolidWorks. They should be doing the same with SolidEdge, Inventor, etc.

Kubotek can't do the same with VX. :>)

If your thinking about getting a solid modeler, are having problems, or you just want to know what this war is all about I highly recommend watching these two videos.

If your in this market and your trying to sell your product against others and your not using video to do direct comparisons against your competitors your not making effective use of your time...

WAKE UP !!!

Start using the tools at your disposal.

jon

Reply to
jon_banquer

What was the point in the videos? You could do the same stuff in SolidWorks by using "move face" feature, without doing any changes to the original features. Or you could do offset surface and then replace face. You could even get rid of all features first if you are afraid of them, by using export/import.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Jon,

Hmm? I thought I told you that you can do this in SW at CadChat? It's simple, it's called "Move Face". It does the same thing.

The SW user is not forced to use his/her parametric intent driven design if they don't need/want to or if time in redefining the intent becomes a issue. (personally, the changes involved in the video would have taken less than a few minutes to rectify and made a better model in return? But anyhow, "Move Face" would have been the quick fix if the model was not modeled/designed correctly in the first place or if someone did not want to get into the history of the design?

I understand the reasoning but Kubotek is incorrect in that video because clearly SW does have the tools to do direct face editing for this case. I'd suggest they do another video which highlights something Kubotek does have which SW does not? Otherwise, it's a slap towards their marketing guys ignorance.

..

j>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Well, since BREP's for the standard SW Pro/e import (with offers features as well) work pretty good, I don't see how Granite 1 would be a benefit since you also get a BREP. Honestly, sometimes even pro/e native, like x_t native or acis topology can get messed up. Now, if other data from Granite 1, like features of sketches came across and be used (which they don't as far as I know,.. only features can be referenced from within Pro/e?). So, I don't see the benefit unless you were sharing between Pro/e and a Granite 1 system? Even then it is a matter of import/export, with a added benefit of not importing/exporting. Anyhow, I would guess SW has looked into what the benefits are and have decided that their own import and export addin for pro/e native data is a better overall bang for the $ and users.

..

Cliff wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Here, send this to their marketing guys...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Jon,

Well, they certainly made the Solidworks example look alot more convoluted than it really is. Gotta luuuuuv those marketing morons.

The truth is, the person that modeled that part could make those changes in a couple of seconds. If it was modeld by someone else, it might take a few more. Provided of course that the peson making the changes knew how to use SW.

If the part was imported into SW, you could make the changes almost exactly the way they illustrated in Key Creator using "move face". This operation would then become an editable feature in the tree.

This bit of marketing mis-information would only impress someone who knew nothing about either system. I get the feeling you haven't actually seen or used Solidworks in a long time.

You can't believe every marketing gizmo you see. This is especially true with software where EULA's give the consumer few recourses. It's a marketing sharks dreamland. In this respect, Solidworks Corp. is just as guilty as any of em.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Paul Salvador wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

Try tellin JB that. He dont git it.

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Cliff:

I think you've been out of the loop a little too long, if you think that part could be modeled in 10 minutes. BTW, How's your own progress coming along in modeling the "ten minute" (your claim), bracket? You've had about a week now, so when should we be expecting some screen shots?

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

Cliff:

I didn't model it, I machined it from the model I was given.

But, but, you claimed it was only a 10 minute job. What's the problem then. You seem to have enough time to post 300 posts last week, how hard can it be squeeze in a 10 minute part? Come on, show us all what you can do.

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

Come on BB, you know better than this. Cliff wont post a thing. He's far too busy stalking JB, and humping his leg with every post. While JB can be obnoxious with many of his posts, Cliff is far worse.

That "10 minute" comment shows how out of touch Cliff is. He's just a know it all wannabee...

Reply to
Steve Mackay