COSMOS/Works machine

We are spec'ing new machines and we have one seat of COSMOS/Works. My thought on that machine is to build it the same as the others, with just as much video power, 2 meg memory, etc. The only thing I would consider would be dual processors. My reasoning is that the big drain for him is meshing, and while I don't think Cosmos takes advantage of multiple processors (actually I don't really know for sure) it would seem to make sense that he could have one processor working 100% or so on the meshing and then use the other one for whatever - ACAD, Word, email, etc.

If my reasoning is solid, is anyone currently doing that? How do you tell the applications what to do, or does it "just happen" by itself?

Thoughts? Comments?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne,

Save the expense of dual processors and go for the fastest possible CPU. Regarding using Word while meshing, etc. simply go into the task manager and set the priority of the SW task to low. You will hardly know that SW is using 100% cpu that way.

Only photoworks uses the dual setup.

If you are running models this big consider going to Designstar. You will give up nothing and have SW available while meshing and solving.

PS. I th> We are spec'ing new machines and we have one seat of COSMOS/Works. My

Reply to
kellnerp

WT,

I was going to ask about your "2 meg memory" fo-pa. If that was all you needed or wanted, I think I got an old 8088 with some that you can have. It would be free to a nice guy like yourself.....

Mr. Pickles

P.S.: Ya, I know I have a crooked nose, a distinctive voice, and Chia pet hair....

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Dang, I hope Dale doesn't read this one - I poked him for his goof yesterday. I guess 2 meg is just remembering the good old days. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Actually, I totally missed it. I saw 2 somethings of memory, and by brain just filled in "gigs".

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hey, you missed your chance - too late now.....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Dale Dunn wrote in news:Xns94817D71C624Bdaledunnatjamestoolc@65.24.7.150:

Looks like I'm at it again. I need to learn to type as fast as I think.

Reply to
Dale Dunn