Machine spec advice please !

It is likely that we will be getting a seat of Cosmosworks in the near future and I will be getting the new machine.

What is the most optimum spec machine to run SWX2004 including Cosmosworks.

Money is not a limitng factor to a certain degree.

Would a dual processor be a smart move to allow cosmos to process while I can get on with something else.

Currently what is the best graphics card available for SWX !!

Current machine spec

Pentium 4 2.8GHz

2GB RAM Matrox Parhelia 256MB

TIA FrankG

Reply to
FrankG

Frank,

The new AMD 64-bit capable CPU's have very good reviews. I would suggest to go the dual-processor route if you plan on running CosmosWorks a lot. Check out xicomputer.com. They are very configurable, get great reviews and from my personal experience are high quality machines. Definately get a Nvidia Quadro FX card. The 3000G is unneccessary, but the 1000, 2000, and 3000 are all great. I believe you can spec one of these out loaded for about 4 grand.

Cosmosworks.

Reply to
Jeff N

Have a look at this thread from last week:

Dale Dunn

If you're in the UK CAD2 do very good machines - and have good advice and seem to know their stuff. I dont mean to post such a shameless plug for them, but they've served us well here!

Lee

Cosmosworks.

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette

Frank,

The difference between a serious gaming computer and a serious windows workstation these days is directx vs opengl. Aside from that, you are looking at two applications which have many of the same requirements. I'd take a look at falcon-nw.com. They have a great on line configurator which will give you an exact price. They also can get the quadro cards, but you'll need to call for price. They can't be beat in terms of performance. They built a dual 3.06 xeon machine for me with raid0 (more bang for your buck than scsi) and it's posting low 30's on the ship in a bottle benchmark. They have live tech support during working hours and their support is not in India. They have an overnight exchange if you have a problem with the system and have been around 10+ years. You can give them a call to get a feel for what they can do for you. If you're looking for bleeding edge performance, this is the place to go. I can't speak highy enough of the performance, stability or support.