Anybody ever used these notebooks for SolidWorks?

Niether of these is my first choice, but I can't help wondering how they would perform with SW.

Was lookin at an AlienWare($4000.00) or Dell($3500.00) and the only real difference is that both of these have the recomended NVIDIA graphics card and 7200 RPM harddrives. The Dell at that price has a 2.0GHZ processor.

Both of these notebooks below are under $2000.00.

Anybody ever used either? How will the ATI graphics card perform?

HP zd8000:

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 630 w/HT Technology, 3.0GHz Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1680x1050) Memory 2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x1024MB) Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive Graphics Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600

Compaq x6000:

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional only

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 630 w/HT Technology, 3.0GHz

Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1680x1050)

Memory 2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x1024MB)

Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

Graphics Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600

Reply to
What-a-Tool

I am using a ZD7000 with the Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 card and 1.5 gig of ram on very large assys...very few problems...other than the fan being noisy...very nice screen. I still want a Dell M70 with a 17" screen (if they made one). Once you have a notebook with a 17" screen you can never go back.

The Pixleys

Niether of these is available with the NVidia card. Can that be changed after purchase. Maybe I could get the cheapest card from the manufacturer, and put in the Nvidia card myself?

Reply to
What-a-Tool

I believe the cards are built-in...can't swap it out. I have had good luck with ATI high end cards in the past but I still go with Nvidia when ever possible.

Reply to
The Pixleys

I've just gone thro' the loop and it ended up between the Dell M70 and the Alienware MJ- 12 M 770.

I take delivery of the Alien on 18/07/05 - I'll keep you guys posted on it's performance.

Kev

Reply to
awtltd

Well - I did it - Coulda probly cut back a little bit, but its so easy to say "well, this option is only $20.00 more, so I'll go with it", but it adds up. Sometimes I can be like a kid getting a new toy. I know I got the best, but still, I can't figure out why my ass is so sore. :-)

$3583.00 after mail in rebates

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 530J Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.0GHz

800MHz FSB 1MB Cache Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2 Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service LCD Display: 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera Motherboard: Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 1024MB Graphics Accelerator: Alienware® MJ12m 7700 NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 with 256MB of DDR memory Hard Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: Slot load 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software Primary Battery: Alienware® 7700 series 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack Additional Battery: Alienware® 7700 series 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem Wireless Network: External Wireless 802.11a/b/g PCMCIA Card Digital Audio Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound Floppy Drive: USB Floppy Drive Optional External Displays: No Monitor Optional Mouse: Belkin® Mini-Wireless Optical Mouse Mobile Power: Belkin® AC Anywhere 300W Security Software: Norton? Internet Security ? 2005 Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad

What-a-Tool