Mates Question

I'm learning SolidWorks, sooo....

I create a table. Let's start with a top and a leg. I mate the top surface of the leg to the bottom surface of the table. I check and this leaves two degrees of freedom. So far so good.

Now I try to mate the edges of the leg to be one inch from the front and side edges of the top. I get an error message saying the mating relationships between the leg and top are overdefined. That doesn't make sense to me, since each edge mate would seem to remove one of the degrees of freedom, thus fully defining the mate relationship???

What am I missing here?

Reply to
gus

Try using parallel or angle relationship first to orient the leg, then use distance relationship to a point or vertex on the leg.

Sounds like something is slightly out-of-square.

Reply to
That70sTick

A surface mate eliminates 3 dofs: 2 axial and 1 linear, leaving 2 linear one axial dof. The edge mates you mention still leave one linear dof, unless edge mates also constrain length. But, no, you shouldn't be over constrained. Something else is going on. Why don't you just try mating surfaces instead of edges. Offsets are still possible.

Reply to
David Janes

If he is using a distance mate from one of the edge faces then he may be trying to remove one linear and one rotational degree of freedom. Since that rotational dof was already removed with the surface mate he is over constraining which may not become apparent until the second edge distance mate it attempted.

Try edge distance mates to a point on the end of the leg.

Reply to
TOP

You mated the Top surface of leg to Bottom surface of table. Did you make sure the leg edges are mated to the Bottom edges of the table (not the Top edges of table). The description you gave "Now I try to mate the edges of the leg to be one inch from the front and side edges of the top." hinted this might be the case.

Kman

Reply to
Kman