Coverting an assy to a part

Is there a way of converting an assembly to a part, retaining the feature history?

I want to convert some old "welded" assemblies to multi-body weldment parts, and I can't see that there is a way to do this that leaves an editable part. It seems a complete pain to have to model them all from scratch when the geometry already exists!

John H

Reply to
John H

Hello, I think this is only possible without the feature history or intelligence (save the assembly as a part, choose the option "All components", the assembly components will be converted to bodies).

Reply to
JM

Yeah - I was afraid that would be the case. Seems a serious omission that you can't save it with the history.

John H

Reply to
John H

John,

Hear hear!

Converting a sldasm with it's sldprt's into a single multi-body sldprt with all the parent/child history is a very rational and logical request, imho!

And, likewise, saving out a single multi-body sldprt as a sldasm(s) with dependent sldprt's with parent/child history (although it maybe more involved regarding dependencies) is very reasonable, imho.

Although I typically work with a master model or multi-body workflow (early concept/prototype), and my part count is usually small, it's a definite want (request) I have a times and I see others needing to break away or manage the data using a different workflows (life-cycle or structure changes) !

... in our dreams....................

Reply to
zxys

This can be done using the split command. Once bodies have been saved as parts you can right click on the split and create an assembly!

this does all the parent child relationships that you want.

Unlike the save as part which is just a snapshot of the assem.

Justin

Reply to
jburtonSW

NO, unfortunately split part does NOT create individual parts with their own features.. Split part saves out bodies, dumb solids, from a master multi-body part, then you have a option to group them back into a sldasm.

..

Reply to
zxys

just to clarify,.. the dumb solid (static body) is a parent/child to the master multi-body sldprt.

Again, to do a separation of the multi-body sldprt into individual sldasm(s) and sldprt(s) with individual features would be more involved.

..

Reply to
zxys

I think it is called Unigraphics.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Yep, or I-DEAS, or Applicon Bravo (if you remeber that far back).

John H

Reply to
John H