Dimensioning a 3d sketch with horizontal and vertical dimensions

I am having difficulty with dimensioning some 3d sketches. What I want to do is dimension the elements using dimensions in only a x or y or z directions (I think the term is orthoginal dimensions). But, the horizontal and vertical dimension options available in 2d sketches is greyed out.

I can force the program to give me this kind of dimension by drawing construction lines, and then dimensioning to those lines. But, I would rather not have all this extra geometry.

Any suggestions?

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
Joe

Normally I use a lot of planes in my 3D sketches which I also use for dimensioning to. Another thing is to dimension between lines and sketchpoints to get the correct horisontal or vertical dimension. But as You said..... sometimes a construction line is needed too.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Do you have a plane or face available to use as one of the dimensional directions. That would be the one way without creating extra geometry

I don't at this time, but I suppose I can create them. However, one reason I was avoiding them is that the location of the plane is not controled by dimensions on the sketch, but by the properties of the plane. But, you can't have it all!

Thanks for your comments,

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
Joe

That is not entirely true. If you create a plane by positioning a point in space and dimension to that point......

Of course planes can also have dimensions if you do offset.

One of the things you will probably run into in the world of 3D sketching is that feature history can put up road blocks to getting parametric dimensions to work the way you intend. You cannot create a parametric construction plane inside of a 3D sketch the way you can outside.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Thanks. That is a good idea.