Dimensioning at non-orthographic angle

I need to dimension objects that are at an angle.[see attached image] In AutoCAD I would rotate my UCS so that it was parallel to the object I was dimensioning and then the dimensions would be aligned with the edge. I can't simply dimension one edge because it would not give me the overall length. I wish I could attach an image (Google groups doesn't allow it)

At the moment, I cannot find any method in SW to do this with just dimensions. I can create a sketch on the sheet, and create a construction line and constrain it to be perpendicular to one of the eges. This sketch line would become my extension line, but that would be a lot of work for something I must do a lot of.

Any ideas?

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

I may not understand something in your message, but if you plop in an isometric view, it asks you if you want to have projected or true dimensions. If you choose true, you can just put in real dimensions. Sometimes the witness lines won't go the way you want, but at least they are correct numbers. Is this what you are looking for?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

The object I am dimensioning is a weldment of square tubing. The tubing is at odd angles, some acute and other obtuse. If the tubing is laying horizontal or vertical, I can dimension it easily by selecting the most extreme points. Below is an example in ACSII art; (View with a monospace font like courier) _______________________________________ / , '| / , ' | / , ' | /__________________________, ' | | | | | |

Reply to
cadcoke3

Sounds to me like you're doing about the only thing that would work (with sketch lines). Cumbersome.

Reply to
That70sTick

In the case where the part is simply not alligned to one of the standard planes this can be done in the part.

In the case where you are trying to dimension features which do not show their true length in any of the standard orthographic projections it is necessary to create an auxilliary view in which the feature is shown in its true length.

It might also be possible, though not standard to show in an axonometric projection and choose true length instead of projected length.

Reply to
TOP

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case the part is a weldment. I can't create a view of a single member of the weldment. I will e-mail you the test drawing I created, but I suspect that I am stuck just drawing construction lines which are what I dimension to. I just finished a more elaborate part done this way, and it wasn't so bad because the angled parts are only a few pieces out of the whole.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

Joe,

You can create a view of a single weldment part.

Search in the SolidWorks help for "weldments, weldment drawings"

Hope this helps. CG

Reply to
CAD Guy

is this what you want

There are 3 dimension tools There are Horizontal, Vertical and Smart to get a dimensionlike this you could do Smart or Horizontal. Select the line and drag the dimension up beyond the top point of the line and then move it to the right until the dimension priveiw snaps the direction you want or drag down to the left to get the Vertical. If you RMB and select more dimensions you will see the horizontal and vertical dimension tools these work on angled lines with no fus.

If this isn't the case you should project auxilary views to get a true view of the desired objects (this would be the correct method from a drafting perspective). Or you can cheat and create a true view in the model and save it as a named view. Then you can create a new view using that named view.

Corey

Reply to
CS